1. Default Suggestions for Spring Roadtrip?

I am from the UK, and am planning a road trip around the US in about February time, 2008, with my girlfriend. What I really want to know is if anyone can give us some advice regards where to start. I have family in New York, but i think it's going to be a bit too cold up there to start driving around and staying in camp sites! And if we start in a warmer state, ie Florida what is needed to buy a second-hand car/mini-van? ie Insurance, pollution certificate, etc.
    Ideally we want to camp a bit, stay in motels a bit, drive from one coast to the other, or up the east or west coast, before selling the car at our final destination. Has anyone any advice on the best way to achieve all this?!

Default Feb = Dead of Winter here

Quote Originally Posted by kierang View Post
    I am from the UK, and am planning a road trip around the US in about February time, 2008,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! One thing you need to remember, is that like the UK, Spring doesn't arrive until April or May.
    What I really want to know is if anyone can give us some advice regards where to start. I have family in New York, but i think it's going to be a bit too cold up there to start driving around and staying in camp sites!
    Actually most of the campgrounds will be closed in February -- with water shut-off and roads closed.
    And if we start in a warmer state, ie Florida what is needed to buy a second-hand car/mini-van? ie Insurance, pollution certificate, etc.
    Generally, we recommend that travelers who will be in the USA for less than three months consider renting a vehicle unless they are skilled in auto maintenance. Here are some threads that discuss insurance and car purchase options and some basic road trip budgeting ideas.
    Ideally we want to camp a bit, stay in motels a bit, drive from one coast to the other, or up the east or west coast, before selling the car at our final destination. Has anyone any advice on the best way to achieve all this?!
    If you do purchase, you can obtain a car in better condition in the western states for re-sale in the eastern states.

Mark

Default Even more refined

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    If you do purchase, you can obtain a car in better condition in the western states for re-sale in the eastern states.
    would be to say that the Southwestern states generally have the cars in the best condition (at least body-wise), versus those from states with either salty roads or salty air.