1. Default Semi-Spontaneous Mini Road Trip

My mom and I are planning to get away for a long weekend next week - Friday through Monday, possibly taking a head start Thursday evening. We're based in Dallas and have made no reservations, so destination is open to suggestions. I definitely want to drive, and scenic roads are a plus. I have a new GPS I want to test out, so getting lost on weird roads is totally allowed. Anything I shouldn't miss out on? We like outdoorsy stuff, and off the highway adventures, farmers markets, festivals, and good food to name a few things!

-------Some places we considered were North Padre area, hill country, and santa fe. we decided santa fe would just be too far.
    Last edited by Flutescience; 09-17-2007 at 08:49 AM.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Texas: Land of Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Flutescience View Post
    My mom and I are planning to get away for a long weekend next week... and have made no reservations, so destination is open to suggestions.
    My idea of a great holiday! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! We have a new Texan columnist and either one of his recent articles might give you some great ideas for a wandering weekend trip: Menard and US-183.

I really like Terlingua and it should be cool enough to enjoy your time there. The Starlight Theater has been a long-time favorite for food and music. And Big Bend is always fun -- this hot spring is very cool. Another site I use for finding local hideaways in Texas is this one.

Have fun!

Keithville, LA

Default East Texas

East Texas sounds like it's going to have a lot of the variety you're looking far. And it won't be a lot of driving. Here's a site I use a lot when I go exploring over there. They also have a really good print guide if you can pick one up around Dallas some where.