1. Default Seattle to Grand Canyon

We are starting to plan a trip from Seattle to the Grand Canyon - south rim, for July 13-27th. I am hoping to make it down in 2 longs days of driving then a few days at the Gran Canyon and a slow leisurly trip home. Any suggestions for a route? Things to see along the way ? I have a 30' travel trailer, I will also have to young girls ages 9 and 12 plus my wife with me. Thank you

Tucson, AZ

Default I Seriously Doubt That Two Days Is Enough

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

By the most direct route possible (I-90/I-82/I-84/I-15/US-89/US-160) it's over 1350 miles from Seattle to the Grand Canyon. Trying to do two nearly 700 mile days while pulling a thirty foot trailer is simply not in the realm of feasibility. You will need at least three days each way, and four days if you want 'leisurely' with time for some sights along the way. You do have that time available to you with two weeks in which to make the round trip. So you should start your planning with that type of time frame in mind. The other major thing you should give consideration to is taking a different route home so that you and your family can maximize what you see and experience on this trip. A good alternative way would be to basically follow I-40/CA-58/I-5.

Some of the highlights of the first route I outlined would be the Columbia River Gorge, the Thousand Springs of the Snake River, Great Salt Lake and Salt Lake City, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks, the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and Monument Valley. On the second route: Lake Havasu and/or Hoover Dam and Las Vegas (Death Valley is a possible side trip), the Mojave National Preserve, Yosemite, Lake Shasta, Crater lake National Park and Mount St. Helens National Monument

3. Default re thinking

Ok 3 days down. Thank yoy for the ideas. Anybody else ?

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Oh....where to begin?

I agree with Buck. You need at least 3 days. With that trailer, four would be much better.

I live out on the Olympic Peninsula and I've done Bryce Canyon to home in 2 days. And that route is about 250 miles shorter than what you're doing. Granted, we didn't leave Bryce until about Noon. Then drove like heck to just west of Boise for the night. Then drove home. Two long days of driving with little time for any sightseeing or stops along the way. And I was doing it in a VW with a turbo engine. I can't imagine making that kind of trip towing a 30 foot trailer.

Skip the Columbia River Gorge. If you haven't done it yet, you really must. And once you've done it, you'll want to do it again and again. But you only live 3-3.5 hours from it (as long as you don't leave Seattle during rush hour). It would make a great trip over a 3-day weekend. Save it for another time. Same with Mt. St. would make another great week-end trip sometime.

I do agree with Buck about the two routes, one there and one back again. And he's given you great suggestions for things to see along them.

Now, really, I have to ask if you really want to do a trip of only 2 weeks going this far with a big trailer like that. When our kids were the age of your kids, we had upgraded from a truck/camper to a truck/trailer. But we limited the trips we took with it to staying in the PNW. We found that anything longer than that was too tiring to drive this rig and the far higher fuel costs totally offset what we saved by staying in campgrounds and cooking most of our meals in the trailer. In fact, going that far will probably cost more with the trailer. And driving it just isn't near as much fun as driving a car. Of course, you might disagree and, if you do, that's great! We're all different.

5. Default thanks

Thank you all for your responses. I am thinking 3 days down then 4 or 5 for the way home. I have no problem driving we did yellowstone 2 yrs ago and made it in 2 days leaving our home near Bremerton at noon. I will map out some places as Buck has suggested.

Default How was the trip?

I am planning a similar trip (from Seattle to the Grand Canyon) in 2009. I was wondering what bgreen thought of his trip, what were the must-stop places and could you have done without. Also I'd like to know when would be the best time to do this road trip: spring or summer? Trying to avoid the summer heat and crowds.

South of England.

Default More info

Hello mgfrench and welcome to R.T.A.

bgreen has not visited the forums in a long time so it's unlikely he will be able to help. Bucks list of places in post 2 has some great suggestions but why don't you tell us a little more. How long have you got for this trip and what are your interests?

Default Seattle to Grand Canyon

Hey Southwest Dave, I am also planning a last minute trip to Grand Canyon from Seattle via the shortest route, leaving in the next few days. I would still like to see some sights...will be meeting my brother and wife, who are driving from TX, to hike the canyon and do some cycling around. I need to be back by April 3 or so. Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default A Route and Some Stops

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The most efficient route from Seattle to the Grand Canyon also happens to be quite scenic, but will take at least 2½ days to drive, so plan on 3 if you want to stop at a few places en route. The drive is I-90/I-82/I-84 southeast to Salt Lake City, then I-15 south to just south of Beaver, UT. Take UT-20 east to US-89 southeast to Cameron, AZ where AZ-64 will take you to Grand Canyon Village along the south rim. On the way, there's the Snake River Valley in southern Idaho, the Great Salt Lake, and if you're running a bit early, you can take a short side trip to one of Bryce Canyon, Zion or Monument Valley. There are also less well known, but relaxing 'rest areas'.

But also be sure to read the other posts in this thread, which contain some valuable advice.

Default Thank you!!!

Kudo for the quick response, AZ!!!

I will allot three days or so to drive down but plan to take a bit more time on the return trip via a different route. There are a lot of helpful hints already on previous threads...Any other uggestions???

I was a little concern about the possible still lingering winter weather on the mountain passes. Hopefully the arrival of spring is for real this time.
    Thanks again.