1. Default California/Nevada in 2-3 weeks

Hi all, this site is just what I've been looking for!

Planning a trip to to California next April/May, and have hit on the idea of travelling around by car. We'll be flying in from the UK, and will most likely be flying into Las Vegas and out from LA. There's a few "must do's" on the list, and first stop is a trek through the Grand Canyon, a night or two in Las Vegas etc. From there, we're hoping to take in Joshua Tree park, LA, Santa Barbara, Death Valley, maybe climb and camp Mt Whitney (we're pretty active!), San Francisco, a few more national parks, you get the jist... Essentially looking to do a vague south to north drive over 2 or 3 weeks.

I've had a look at suggested itineraries on here and the ones I've seen seem to suggest a 2-3 day route between most places. What we're looking for would be much longer trip. I'm not after a full ititnerary, more any suggestions anyone's got, must sees, even if it's possible- or worth spending that much time- to do it.

A bit unsure of things like fuel costs etc. We'd probably be hiring a car for a week to 10 days, and I've had a few quotes on that. Looking at something like a Chevy Cobalt or a Pontiac G6. Any ideas on fuel costs for a drive that will take in most of California? And the taxes etc that are levied on rental charges. I've read in a few places that tourists tend to get rinsed on car hire, so a bit wary of hidden charges etc.

Sorry this has rambled for quite a bit. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Basically, on a £1500-£2000 budget, how far and much can we get in California/Vegas (not gambling!), taking in the places I mentioned above? I'll probably find another post that answers all these questions on another post as soon as I post this...

Thanks in advance!

Default Well, a way to get started

Quote Originally Posted by rotefaqin View Post
    Hi all, this site is just what I've been looking for!
    Hope we can be of help to you. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Essentially looking to do a vague south to north drive over 2 or 3 weeks.
    This site has lots of resources for planning such a an adventure. Here is a field report that covers much of the area you want to explore.
    Any ideas on fuel costs for a drive that will take in most of California?
    Absolutely, use this free tool, plug in the expected distances and efficiency ratings (you can look them up here too) for any vehicle sold in North America and the tool will calculate fuel costs.
    And the taxes etc that are levied on rental charges. I've read in a few places that tourists tend to get rinsed on car hire, so a bit wary of hidden charges etc.
    Not really, those taxes are citizen-agnostic -- it really doesn't matter where you hail from -- you are still going to pay the taxes. In some jurisdictions the rates go has high as 80% of the cost of rental. Here is some more information about that and also an overview about what kinds of insurance you will need and/or want.

Here are some ideas about routes between Las Vegas and San Francisco some more tips about Yosemite and Sequioia. An overview about how to visit Los Angeles, One of the must-sees on the Pacific Coast!And here are some ideas about getting to San Diego and exploring that area.

Mark

3. Default a great help

Hey, thanks Mark. That's a real wealth of info you've provided there. I'll spend some time looking it all over, but I think it will answer all questions!

Thanks