Thread: Any ideas?

1. Default Any ideas?

Im planning on coming over from England for a road trip for a couple of months in the summer. I'm a 23 year old male.
    I would like to see as much as I can. Where is the best place to start?
    I want to see a variety of what the States have to offer.
    Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon are the 2 main stops I would like to see.
    How much would I be able to see in 2 months? and where would you suggest?
    I would like to see a few attractions that are not that well known.
    thanks in advance for your help

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

In two months, you can get a good feel for most of the country - even if you don't get a chance to check out Hawaii and/or Alaska.

But the best place to start is to determine what your budget will be. Once you have that down, you can figure out other important details such as:

You will find much information on these matters here.

Beyond that, what are your interests? Some folks really enjoy natural wonders, others are more impressed by cities with vibrant night life, and still others seek those lonely roads for a bit of contemplation and "alone time".

I would consider making a stop in New York City as well "because it is there".

3. Default

I am interested in all that you have mentioned really.
    If I was on a low budget, how much could I get by on? I wouldnt mind accomodation that wasnt great.
    and I would like to see places that I wouldnt have to pay for

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Huge canvas

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I think you've come to a very good place to start, because there are lots of things that can help you narrow down your focus.

With 2 months you could really go pretty much anywhere you want. You could spent your entire time exploring the southwest, or you could criss-cross the continent.

Your budget will play a roll in how much you can do, and being under 25 will drive up your rental car costs, so I would put some focus there, and then I would just start looking for all of the places you might find interesting. From there, things should start coming into focus.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Tnstaafl

Quote Originally Posted by Sunners View Post
    If I was on a low budget, how much could I get by on? I wouldnt mind accomodation that wasnt great.
    and I would like to see places that I wouldnt have to pay for
    You'll have to come up with some more concrete numbers as what you think a "low budget" would be. I can tell you that you're going to need a fairly significant sum even to travel for 2 months on a shoestring budget, but without an idea of what you are looking at for funds, its impossible to say what you can or can't do.

There are things you can see for free, but the reality is that most things worth seeing or doing will cost something. Even if there is no admission charge, you still have to pay to get there, to park, to eat, etc. There are ways to stretch a budget, but they still haven't found a way to create the free lunch.

Central California

Default Anywhere... about right.

Sounds to me like you are after experiences and not expenses.

Two months with a minimum of $6,000 (4,339 euros) in your pocket (renting a small, fuel efficient car when you are under 25 years old will cost you extra), and you can go about anywhere and do about anything. A wobbly loop around the 48 states that gets you to the major cities and into many interesting, out of the way areas will run close to 12,000 miles (or about $1,500 in gasoline). And in the end you can say you've seen most of what people come to this country to see. Get a National Parks Pass for $80 and you can visit dozens of the best places for very little cost. Sporting events such as baseball games can be quite inexpensive, and of course, the scenery, which is beautiful, interesting and varied, is free whereever you go.

Accommodations vary widely, but low cost motels are available. Tent camping is about a half or a third the price of motels so a small investment in a tent, sleeping bag, insulated cooler and a few supplies (all available at a discount store) will go a long way toward saving you money. There are many National Forest and Bureau of Land Management campgrounds in the western part of the country that are very cheap, or even free.

You need a good road atlas, a couple of guidebooks and maybe a campground directory or two, and you are on the way.

Good luck and have a great time.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years