1. Default Gear for driving comfort

Hello all,

I drive the honda civic DC Hatchback. I love driving that car and came across this forum. I plan to drive all over the place in my car and this site is good for ideas. No cruise control in my car though.

Recently, I took a 200 mile drive and drove non-stop for about 3.5 hrs. After the drive, I noticed that my right knee (the foot I use for driving/braking) was sore and is tender. I am wondering if there is a way to avoid this and drive long trips.

Also, any other suggestions to make the overall trip more comfortable are more than welcome.

Thanks all.

Default The Obvious One

Don't drive for that long without stopping. Not only do you tend to get sore, but your concentration waivers. I make a point to stop every 1-1.5 hours when out on the road. Even if it's just to stand on the side of the road and stretch a little. It's amazing how 2-3 minutes out of the car can make such a difference.

Laura

PS - After long trips I'm always a little sore. It's just my price for the pleasure of a roadtrip.
    Last edited by lhuff; 09-10-2007 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Type

Default I agree with Laura

You also might try adjusting your seat a bit.

But it's very important to move so stop at scenic overlooks, historical markers, and places with great photos opps and hop, walk, run, stretch, whatever. To be honest, if I do this, I never got sore when driving. It's only when I don't do it because I'm trying to burn miles where I might get a bit sore.

Default Guess I should Explain

The only reason I ever get sore from driving is from an old back injury. So Judy is right that you should not be sore from driving, normally.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Moving is the key

I agree with Judy, the only time I get sore is when I'm racing the clock trying to lay down as many miles as possible. Case in point my first trip from WA to AZ had a lot of stops, I felt great when we arrived in Phoenix. 3 years later, did the same trip (slightly different route), but didn't stop very much, and I was sore for a week. No matter what you do, standing up and moving is going to keep those miles from wearing you out.

-Brad

6. Default

This is a little off topic, but do you know that you can add cruise control to your car? It isn't even very expensive. It's less than $200, and if you're handy you can do the work yourself.