Default January Road Trip

I'm planning on taking a road trip through January but am still stuck on several different ideas. Iíve previously traveled from New York to San Fran then back east to Miami and last Jan from San Fran down to LA the out through the South West before returning via Yosemite. On both occasions Iíve traveled with friends but this time Iím going it alone.
    Was considering running route 66 but didnít know whether there is enough to keep me occupied for a month. Iím a photographer by trade and I'm keen on National Parks but seem limited to the southwest because of the weather.

Any Ideas?

Martin

Default The Deep South?

Have you thought about traveling through the Deep South (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas)? That would keep you busy for a month and those states generally have decent weather in January. You could either go for a coastal tour or do a loop and hit the northern parts of each states too.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lhuff View Post
    Have you thought about traveling through the Deep South (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas)? That would keep you busy for a month and those states generally have decent weather in January. You could either go for a coastal tour or do a loop and hit the northern parts of each states too.

Laura
    I hadnt as i always seem to be drawn to the the red rock states but its well worth a read up. Only really had a light glimpse as we passed through last time but i did enjoy what i saw. Decent weather is always a bonus after spending a couple of nights camping in -12c and snow in utah.

Default One Bonus

Much of that part of the South is Pine Tree Forests, so it's still pretty green.
    Also, you can still see the desert in West Texas and get a glimpse of Big Bend National Park along the Mexican Border.

Laura

Default Laura's idea is a great one

But I don't think you should nix Route 66 yet. There is very different scenery along the way and lots of things to see ranging from the historical and culturally significant to the tacky tourist traps that are reminiscent of the glory days of the Mother Road. In fact, some still date from that time. Museums, restaurants and motels from the glory days, national parks, and more abound. I think one could easily take a month to drive it and still not see everything there is to see.

Both trips would be great and would probably yield thousands of photo opps.

Default Northwest?

Martin,

How about the Pacific Northwest from, say, southern Oregon north to Seattle? The nice thing about that area is you can hang out along the coast, or dip into the interior when the weather is good to get snowy mountain shots. I'm surprised that Judy didn't mention Olympic National Park, because that area should be beautiful then. You could also ferry across to Victoria or Vancouver for a visit (two wonderful towns). You may have to deal with some rain at that time of year, but you may not. Northwest roulette!

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years