Default Las vegas to Sanfransico

Hi All

i'm planning an adventure trip to celebrate my daughter's 21st. We live in Sydney`Australia, and are feeling a little nervous about driving on the "opposite' side of the road....

The trip so far:
    We will spend a few days in Vegas (staying with my old school friend- who has settled in Vegas) then we're doing a 3 night 4 day trek in the Grand Canyon.

We arrive in Vegas on 5th december, and plan on drving from LV to SF between the 16 or 17th and 21st December (flying home for a traditional hot aussie christmas!)

Can you please suggest a good car rental company for a one-way hire from Flagstaff to SF?

Also, we would love to get "off the beaten track" and see some of the real america, including yosemetie and other highlights- including must see in SF. I'd love to hear of your suggested itinerary and any good places to spend the nights on the road.

looking forward to chatting

Green County, Wisconsin

Default why flagstaff

Welcome to the RTA forum!

How exactly are you planning to get from Las Vegas to Flagstaff, and why would that be the place where you'd want to rent your car?

You're going to be much better off renting a car in LV. There will be many more cars and companies to choose from, and your costs should be quite a bit less. I haven't found any major differences between car rental companies, so I would go with whichever of the major companies offers the best rate.

Central California

Default the beaten track

A quick look at the map will show you that in that/this part of the country, there aren't that many tracks. Kind of like your outback, I suspect. You won't need to drive on many Interstate highways because there are decent paved two-lane roads that go to the same places. But there aren't many choices.

As for what to see, the list includes Valley of Fire State Park (NE of Las Vegas), the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Death Valley National Park, Yosemite National Park (you'll have to go via Bakersfield because Hwy 120 through Yosemite will be closed), and a bit of the California Coastline from Monterey to San Francisco. If you put all of these into the itinerary, in that order, you'll have spent your time wisely. And you'll have spent almost no time on Interstate highways.

Don't worry too much about driving on the wrong side of the road. Your rental car will have an automatic transmission (unlike the first "wrong side of the road" experience I had in England), so you can concentrate on steering. The hardest part is making left hand turns into the right hand lane. Your co-pilot should be charged with the responsibility of keeping an eye out for just that situation (saved my bacon many-a-time).

If you are visiting several national parks, you'll want to stay inside the park as often as possible. It isn't too early to make reservations, especially at Yosemite.

San Francisco offers a wide range of options, depending on your budget. A quick check at a travel website (you can start on this one) will present you with a dizzying array of possiblities. We tend to like the smaller hotels and B&B's, but personal preference is the key. Note: Check on parking availability, even at the larger hotels. San Francisco is as bad as London in that department.

The what-to-sees in San Francisco run the gamut from Acatraz prison to Zuni cafe. If you are up for a fun night out, Beach Blanket Babylon is a perennially popular musical comedy show that satarizes just about everyone by tweaking the lyrics of popular music from all of the last 50 years. Good fun for all ages (21 and over for evening shows - minors allowed for Sunday matinee).

Any guidebook, even the one in your hotel room, will give you too many options for the time you have alotted so you won't be bored!

Have a lovely trip, and "Happy Birthday" to birthday girl.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years