1. Default My first Cross country Roadtrip!

I have never been off the east coast, but in 2.5 weeks my fiance and I will be moving to Moscow Idaho! We are making the drive, just the two of us, so I can see what is out there. We are leaving from New Hampshire and we will have 5-6 days of driving (can be extended). What should I expect? What should we see along the way? We have been talking about visiting Niagara falls, Mt Rushmore and maybe Yellowstone national park. I haven't sat down with the maps (thank you AAA) just yet.

Looking for suggestions for hotels, routes and things we absolutely cannot miss!!

Tucson, AZ

Default Curb Your Enthusiasm

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With only 5 days to cover over 2800 miles, you're not going to have a lot of time for off-Interstate sight seeing. While short side trips to Niagara Falls will be possible, major detours and time sinks such as Yellowstone will not. Adding a 6th day will help, but you're still going to have to keep your eye on the prize and not get sidetracked. Your best bet is to just follow I-90 and see what's within easy reach of that highway, A few options include Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Great River Bluffs State Park on the Minnesota side of the Mississippi, Badlands National Park, Little Bighorn National Battlefield, and if you get to western Montana with a little time to spare, treat yourself to a great scenic road into the Lewiston area just south of Moscow.

Central California

Default more days, more sights

Buck has it right, so you need to find 2 or 3 or 4 more days to see Yellowstone. Realistically, it is a 2 day, 3 night minimum visit. Were I you, I'd make Niagara, Badlands and Yellowstone the key stops, and once you've figured out how much time you need at each, fill in with what you can.

All of his suggestions are great, as are Devil's Tower, WY (especially if you are a "Close Encounters" fan, the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, WY.

Let's call it 3,000 miles in 8 days. That makes just 375 per day average. You can do a couple of long ones in the middle, and you'll have time to play along the way. What do you say?

Have a great trip, you'll only do this once.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years