Default Chicago to San Francisco via Route 66, Death Valley, Yosemite

Hello,

Next August my partner and I hope to come to the USA for a mammoth road trip. We have about 3 weeks in which we hope to take old Route 66 from Chicago to Flagstaff, cut off for the Grand Canyon, then pass through Las Vegas, Death Valley (Route 190 through Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells and Panamint Springs) then take 395 to Yosemite, and back towards San Francisco through Sacramento. Could anyone advise us on whether this is doable in 3 weeks, with time for stop offs and sightseeing, or are we trying to pack in too much? Is it sensible to drive through Death Valley in August? What type of car would you recommend? If anyone can recommend car hire with good drop-off charges, that would be fantastic, as everywhere I have seen is around $500.

Thanks!
    Katie

Default $500 for three weeks???

Quote Originally Posted by katiecarnage View Post
    Next August my partner and I hope to come to the USA for a mammoth road trip.
    Sounds like a grand adventure -- Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We have about 3 weeks in which we hope to take old Route 66 from Chicago to Flagstaff, cut off for the Grand Canyon, then pass through Las Vegas, Death Valley (Route 190 through Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells and Panamint Springs) then take 395 to Yosemite, and back towards San Francisco through Sacramento.
    Three weeks is a reasonable time to cover that distance. Here are some threads you might find helpful:
    Route 66 end to end by RoadTrip Advisor Don
    A great web site for planning Route 66 travel
    A very fun thread about adventures in the Grand Canyon
    A few suggestions for routes between Las Vegas and San Francisco
    Another one from Las Vegas to Death Valley to San Francisco
    A detailed field report that covers much of your route.
    Is it sensible to drive through Death Valley in August?
    August is one of the busiest months in Death Valley -- it will be hot -- but doable -- here are some hot season travel tips.
    What type of car would you recommend?
    Whatever you are comfortable in.
    If anyone can recommend car hire with good drop-off charges, that would be fantastic, as everywhere I have seen is around $500.
    Wow! If you can find a three week rental with drop-off charges for only $500 USD -- Grab it! Car rentals are usually about $500 per week....Also here is some information about car insurance.

Happy Planning!

Mark

Hello - thanks for your advice - I was looking at the mileage mounting up and beginning to think I was crazy for trying to cram it all in to three weeks!

By $500 I meant just the drop off charge, because we are going on a one way trip and dropping the car off in a different state. The car rental itsef is looking to be about $750 - $1000. I wondered if anyone knew of rental companies where this drop off fee might be less?