1. Default Road Trip for 6 UK Guys

Hi All

We are riding harleys from Washington to Las Vegas from 14th September this year and a few questions, aiming to hit 40 around the knoxville area

Planning on riding along 40 towards Vegas, is it a good route?

Heard that the Dragons Tail is a good ride, a little detour I think but very early in the ride, is it worth the ride?

What will be the weather, do we need to pack wet weather gear or will it be hot and sunny?

Any strange places to visit en route?

Does Winslow AZ have a sign so you can have a photo as in the Eagles song lyrics "I was standing on the corner of Winslow AZ"

How much is fuel per gallon or litre?

Any other help greatly appreciated.

Am really looking forward to this trip and cannot wait.
    Last edited by mlisbo; 08-30-2007 at 08:11 AM.

Default a little of everything

Welcome back to the RTA Forum! Have you changed your plans from your original trip?

Planning on riding along 40 towards Vegas, is it a good route?
    I-40 is a major cross country route, and its a great one to quickly get across country. However, since you are going to be on the bikes, and I assume this will be a leasurly trip, you might want to spend a little more time enjoying some of the less traveled roads.
    Heard that the Dragons Tail is a good ride, a little detour I think but very early in the ride, is it worth the ride?
    I'm sorry to say I've never heard of it, but little detours are usually worth it!
    What will be the weather, do we need to pack wet weather gear or will it be hot and sunny?
    It could be rainy, it could be sunny, it could be hot, it could be quite cool. You need to pack for anything.

Does Winslow AZ have a sign so you can have a photo as in the Eagles song lyrics "I was standing on the corner of Winslow AZ"
    I've never been, but I know of plenty of posters who've stopped there for that very reason.
    How much is fuel per gallon or litre?
    Gas is going for $2.75-3 most places right now. Our fuel cost calculator includes information on current gas prices
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-30-2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: linked to previous thread

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

In addition to the sign:

Winslow Arizona has the girl and the flat bed Ford on the corner. You can take your picture with her & the truck.

Can't miss her if ya roll through town.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-30-2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added the link to the RTA article about this

Default Dragon's Tail is one of those classic rides

Quote Originally Posted by mlisbo View Post
    Ah yes, it is one of those classic curvy roads -- much like this one in Arizona. For motorcycle Intel -- the best site is this one, run by Tim Mayhew.

Mark

5. Default

Thank you guys for your replies, yes we have changed our route from the original plan due to discussions with a friend who lived near St Louis.

I guess the real adventure is the fact we can just stop and detour if needed, I just hope 14 days is enough time but we can always ride again. Planning to ride Anchorage to Mexico City in a year or twos time.