1. Default NYC to Portland in a 16' Uhaul

I've done some trips in the past but nothing at this scale.

My girlfriend and i are driving across the country with all our belongings. which makes things somewhat tricky when it comes to lodging and freedom to take more scenic routes. we'd ideally like to camp a few nights and stay at hotels the others.

Any and all suggestions about which route is the best (and why), what sights can't be missed (and which are over-rated), and also how to make the most of a cross-country uhaul trip in general.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default remarkably simple

Welcome to the RTA forum!

If you are just driving the Uhaul truck (and not pulling a trailer) then your road options are pretty much limitless. It really isn't that much different than driving a large van, and since most campgrounds handle large RVs, even camping shouldn't be too difficult.

There is no such thing as a one sized fits all "best route." That said, I think you'll pretty much be looking at taking I-80 to Utah, and then up to Portland, or taking I-90 across to Washington and then down. Since Uhaul doesn't usually give you that many extra days to work with, and you'll want some time to pack and unpack the truck, The interstates will be your best bet for the majority of your trip. However, you should still have plenty of time to take an occational detour off the freeway, or spend some time at any of the millions of possible sightseeing and other stops along the way.

Central California

Default Some stops

I don't know what the rules are about taking rental trucks to places like Rocky Mountain National Park, or Yellowstone, but if there are no restrictions, either of those could work. When my son moved from Atlanta to Denver we had an extra day or two to spend along the way and still had time to pack and unpack without worry.

Rocky Mountain might be tough because of the climb to about 12,000 feet, but getting to and through Yellowstone and out the west entrance shouldn't be too bad. Going out the north, through Mammoth, might be challenging because the road can be quite narrow, winding and steep, though they were working on it a few years ago when we were there.

Along 80 we love to stop at the Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer, a historic village in Grand Island, NE and the Harold Warp Pioneer Village, which is more like a museum collection of everything you can think of, including a very cool steam powered carousel.

In Wyoming Vedauwoo Rocks, just west of Cheyenne is unique, and Fort Bridger in the far southwest corner of the state is historic.

As you go into Oregon, the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center is east of Baker City. A very interesting intro to the trail and its history.

Driving a 16 footer should pose no problem from a camping point of view. Just keep some minimal gear near the tailgate and/or between the seats.

Good luck on your move, and welcome to the "left coast" especially in Portland.

Craig Sheumaker

co-author of America's Living History-The Early Years