Default 2 Vegas Options for last week for December

Hi folks -

I'm planning a family vacation (15 & 17 yo daughters) for the last week of December. We rarely take family vacations since we spend a lot of time together on a day-to-day basis, but I want a fling before my older daughter goes off to college.

We booked flights into Vegas, assuming that we would do Option #1. But, now I'm considering changing the plans, for Option #2.

OPTION #1:
    Vegas-> Hoover Dam - > LA
    In LA, we'd stay with a friend and do Universal Studios, Venice Beach, shopping....

OPTION #2:
    Vegas -> Hoover Dam -> Grand Canyon/South -> Monument Valley -> Canyonlands -> Arches -> Bryce -> Zion -> Vegas

Question: I realize that the popular time to visit the parks is spring-summer-fall. At the last week of December, will we just be seeing Snow, more Snow, and even more snow?

Recommendations?
    Alternative ideas for trips around Vegas during the final week of December?

We don't mind if it's chilly, or even cold. But we don't want to be dealing with snow and ice.

Thank you!
    Marion in NY

Default It is a desert out there!

Quote Originally Posted by mtpaper View Post
    OPTION #1:
    Vegas-> Hoover Dam - > LA
    In LA, we'd stay with a friend and do Universal Studios, Venice Beach, shopping....

OPTION #2:
    Vegas -> Hoover Dam -> Grand Canyon/South -> Monument Valley -> Canyonlands -> Arches -> Bryce -> Zion -> Vegas
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Both options sound great. There is a much higher chance of rain in southern California in late December. For Utah, Arizona and Nevada -- this is mostly a desert region and so rain and snow are much less likely. That being said, you need to expect some snow and other inclement weather in all of those places. It has snowed at my offices in Las Vegas the last five Decembers.... Not much, but snow nonetheless.
    Question: I realize that the popular time to visit the parks is spring-summer-fall. At the last week of December, will we just be seeing Snow, more Snow, and even more snow?
    The deserts in December are beautiful and very popular. Death Valley is at its best in December!

Mark

Default West in December

Hi Mark -
    Thank you for the speedy response.

Based on your comment about Death Valley, a simple alternative, combining Nature & Los Angels, would be:

Vegas-> Death Valley ->Los Angeles -> Hoover Dam - Vegas

Questions:
    1. Any recommended stops between Death Valley & Los Angeles?
    2. Is Lake Havasu City in Arizona is a worthwhile detour (after LA and before Hoover Dam)? The London Bridge sounds so off-beat and silly.

Thank you -
    Marion in NY

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

The London Bridge may not be worth destination status itself, but is good if you'd like to take in other sites as well.

Right below it are boat rentals, and several really excellent restaurants.

About 45 minutes to the North is Laughlin, Nevada.
    A few hours to the North East of Havasu are the Grand Canyon Caverns.