1. Default California to Tennessee

We are planing a road trip from Ventura to Manchester, it looks like the 40 is the hwy we will be on. I know that we will be passing thru Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Arkansa to get there. Any advice and especially the must sees! We will be taking this trip in June...
    Thanks!

Default The Highlights

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Everyone has a slightly different take on what might make a 'must-see' list for such a drive, but some of the sites you ought to be considering are the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Petroglyph National park, Cadillac Ranch, the Oklahoma Bombing Memorial, and Graceland. What else to include (and there are a ton of possibilities) would depend on your interests, how much time you have, who is included in 'we', whether it's a round trip, and a host of other factors. This trip will take 4 days at a minimum, but that would still leave a little time for sightseeing - but probably not enough to detour to the Grand Canyon. Between Barstow and Oklahoma City you'll be paralleling the old US-66 alignment, so the opportunity exists to get off the Interstate for the occasional change of pace.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks for the advice! We will have kids with us and aren't sure about time frame. Probally 7 to 10 days and the main reason is to visit family in Manchester. We love geology and all the natural sites. Anything to help break the 31 hour drive up would help. I'm sure that we will spend a few days getting there and a few getting back. I just didn't know if there were any CAN'T MISS stops on the way.

Default Whoa Nellie!

It is a four day drive one way covering 500+ miles a day. If you have only 10 days to make this trip, and assuming you want to spend a couple of days in Tennessee with family for all your driving efforts, then you have time for only the most casual of stops near the highway. If you read through the many posts around here, you will soon see that the driving times that you get from on-line mapping routines are based on some very unrealistic assumptions, especially where kids are involved. The one thing I can guarantee you is that this trip CANNOT be done in 31 hours.

AZBuck

Default sorry

AZBuck is correct. The words kids coming along immediately changes things too in your timing. Do you perhaps mean you have ten days one-way?

Default Roadside Geology series

Quote Originally Posted by sbug View Post
    Thanks for the advice! We will have kids with us and aren't sure about time frame. Probally 7 to 10 days and the main reason is to visit family in Manchester. We love geology and all the natural sites. Anything to help break the 31 hour drive up would help. I'm sure that we will spend a few days getting there and a few getting back. I just didn't know if there were any CAN'T MISS stops on the way.
    In another life I worked as a geologist and took many, many long distance field trips via van or Suburban caravan with the trip leader, himself laden with maps and reference material, calling out visible features via CB radio to the other vehicles. In more recent decades, a series of "Roadside Geology" books has been published, and a brief look at Amazon.com just now shows Roadside Geology books for Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. It also apprears that each title is available used for $8-9 a copy.

The books are written in terms between layman's and professional's so appeal to each group. The material is laid out by highway corridor so they're a natural for roadtrippers. The volumes I've seen are reasonably well illustrated and have some maps, too. Depending on the kids' ages and interests, this sort of thing could be of interest.

Hope this helps!

Foy