Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Need sugestions for long journy!

hello everyone..i am fairly new to this forum but seems like a awsome thing you got going. I am 15 and live on ontario. i work almost everyday to save up to buy a car so i can go on a roadtrip as you call it accross america to see places like hollywood or california or vegas and stuff like that. Am i a total wack job?lol or is this do able. I plan on sleeping in my car so i am just wokring now for money for a car and gas and food. appreciate any help, because i am sure there is a bunch of flaws in my plan lol and any trip locations would be great. Thanks GUys!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default starting out

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Its not uncommon at all to want to get out and see the world, and a roadtrip is a great way to do it.

Probably the biggest mistake is underestimating how much things will cost. I'd take a look at this thread about budgeting, and read our article about Teenage Roadtrips.

Central California

Default How long how much?

Hey Ian,

OK, lets say you will go from Toronto to San Francisco to Los Angeles to Las Vegas and back. All totalled - 9,000+ miles. At an average of 400 miles (8 driving hours) per day that puts you at 22.5 days. Averaging $100 per day that is $2,250, miniumum.

Don't believe the $100 per day? Lets say your car gets 20mpg. That is 20 gallons per day times $3 per gallon for a total of $60 per day. You'll need 2-3 oil changes, I'll bet you blow a tire, you'll want to see some sights that cost money, you'll need to pay for a campground or a motel room more often than you think, you'll want a t-shirt with Marilyn Monroe or Arnold Schwartzenegger's picture on it, and you have to eat. The good news is you can't gamble and you can't drink alcohol so you'll save a bundle there. Were I you, I'd budget $3,000 and maybe have some money in my pocket when I get home.

So add that to the cost of the car and the insurance and you have a good idea of what you'll need.

Of course, if you can get a friend to go along you can save some money and share the driving.

There is no doubt that travel is a great way for kids to get a sense of what the world is like outside their hometown. My son took a two week trip to Belgium to play bridge (where he could drink beer when he was 16), and we took him and his sister on a cross country trip when he was 15. It did both of them a world of good.

I hope you get to take your trip, but that you plan it carefully. Do your own research to find the things you must see by looking at guidebooks and itineraries of tours of the US online. Decide on a general route that hits the places you most want to see, and go exploring. It will cost you extra miles, but it will be worth it.

Good luck with your savings, and better luck with your travels,

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

4. Default heading out from toronto!

Hi i have googled mapped a route from toronto through utah then vegas and ending in van nuys callifornia. How long roughly would it be to callifornia from toronto? anyone got any ideas

Central California

Default 4.1 grand

If you made a Google map I'm surprised you didn't see the mileage/time figures. Anyway, I just did it and the miles came to about 4,100 in 37 hours - one way.

I hope you have time to enjoy the Utah part of the trip especially. I'll share an email I got last night from a friend who just went through there a week or so ago.

"We were spellbound by southern Utahís beauty. It is something that no one should miss Ė itís absolutely breathtaking. Iíve been to many countries, but this was the most majestic scenery Iíve ever viewed - Valley of Fire, Zion and Bryce National Parks, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, the Hellís Backbone area, Goblin Valley, Arches National Park, Monument Valley, Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon - Wow!!

And this person is not easily impressed.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

6. Default

ya i just noticed that now about the thanks, and utah was one i wanted to see and vegas...even though i can't gamble or drink i still think it looks amazing

7. Default Well guys this is last post from me for a while

IT is official i can not stand it here in toronto and i am leaving in 3 days. I have a car now and 3 grand, won't get me far but it will do.i am heading to van nuys. i will try and psot reports up asap because you guyus have helped me so much. thank you!

Tucson, AZ

Default Good Luck

We look forward to your posts and reports, especially anything new you learn along the way. What you found rewarding, or how useful you found our advice. Life is a learning process, and travel is one of the great classrooms.

9. Default Driver's license?

Umm...the only thing I can think of is do you have your license? And, if you can get it at 15 in Canada, does that mean you can drive in the US? I would think not...other than that, good luck!

10. Default

Yes i have my full license now..just a few days ago. i am hoping to find stuff i doubt i will..but oh well it will be a expierience. thanks for the support
    i am a little scarred being such a new driver hitting these high ways alone. but oh well, maybe i will find what i am looking for!