Thread: RoadTrip 2.0

Hey everyone, this is really more to just get acquainted with you / introduce myself.

A friend & I are going to be circling the US (with touches of Canada & Mexico) in a few weeks in a beautiful 1990 van, attempting to keep our Internet-based businesses alive and kicking for the full 6+ weeks. We'll be starting on 9/18 in Raleigh, NC and heading counter-clockwise. The goal is to keep living expenses under $2K/month ($500/wk), see a bunch of sites, meet a bunch of people, and have a bunch of fun : )

If you have any general suggestions for the blog or for the trip, please let me hear 'em! I'll post more as we start the thing, and for advice on specific stops / issues.

I'm leaving for a 6-8 week road trip soon, and I was looking for a good all-around GPS unit that meets the following criteria:
    -Can hook up to my laptop in the car
    -Gets good reception in cars & woods
    -Works well while hiking (floats, rugged)
    -Costs less than $200
    -Long battery life

I'm wanting to use the GPS in the car so that I have real-time coordinates uploaded to my website. I don't expect this to be included w/ the unit as I'm going to try to write the software, but it needs to have a USB cable & get good reception through the windshield (or with extended antenna).

I found a few units, but I was wondering if you guys had any practical advice from trips of your own? Anything's appreciated!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-30-2007 at 04:27 PM.