h0bob0b Guest

Default Arizona to New York 2 weeks round trip help

Hey. In Feb my husband and I are taking a road trip with our roomates. I was wondering if you guys have any idea of interesting and fun places to stop in between arizona and new york?
    Also this is our first road trip and we would like to know what we should pack and what we should not do. I really like some advice. Cause I don't want to make a mistake.
    Thanx

Default quite the canvas

Welcome to the RTA forum!

There's certainly no shortage of things to do between AZ and NY. In fact, since your canvas basically covers the entire country, there really is no limit on what you could see.

I think you'll find a lot of what you are looking for for general advice in the Roadtrip Planning section. As far as making mistakes, the only real mistakes I can think of come with planning and reality. As in trying to do too much with too little time or too little money.

You're going to need 4-5 days each way for the trip, so 2 weeks will at least give you some time to enjoy the journey.

Default Your Roadtrip Plans Needs to be Flexible

You will have to be sure your plans are flexible given you'll be on the road during February. Maps.Yahoo.com generated an AZ to NY map that spent almost 900 miles on I-40. It works, but using I-40 during February in AZ, NM and the TX panhandle can be tough due to weather. I'm not sure where your starting point is in AZ, but you might want to use I-10 for most of your east/west travel.

h0bob0b Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Thurman View Post
    You will have to be sure your plans are flexible given you'll be on the road during February. Maps.Yahoo.com generated an AZ to NY map that spent almost 900 miles on I-40. It works, but using I-40 during February in AZ, NM and the TX panhandle can be tough due to weather. I'm not sure where your starting point is in AZ, but you might want to use I-10 for most of your east/west travel.

I live in sierra vista. So I-10 east would be our best bet. I just hope the weather isn't that bad. :) I have never tried yahoo maps so i will give them a try.
    Thanks

Default staying flexable

I-10 could be your best choice in February, but I-40 or a number of other routes could be your best choice depending upon the weather. Staying flexable and trying to go where the weather isn't is usually your best bet.

Yahoo Maps is one of several online options, which are all fairly similar. However, it really isn't my favorite. Right now, I'm finding Google maps to often be the most helpful, because it has a feature where you can manually drag and drop your route, if you want to compare a number of different routes.

Default Wing it

Hi,

Since you evidently don't have any must-see attractions along the way, I'd try to do a mid-south route one way (Abuquerque [check out the thousands of snow geese and sandhill cranes at Bosque del Apache near San Antonio, NM on the way to ABQ] to Arkansas, Tennessee [want to see Graceland?], Kentucky, West Virginia, etc.) weather permitting. Then after a breathtaking stay in NYC, take an Atlantic Coast, Gulf Coast route on the way home. The environments will be very different and the range of historical and scenic attractions along the way is vast.

You need to see Washington, DC, Savannah, GA and New Orleans, if you haven't. The missions in San Antonio are great, though not as spectacularly decorated as your nearby San Xavier del Bac, and Carlsbad Caverns is worth a stop. And that is just a smattering.

Your only problem: running out of time before you run out of things to see. Are you sure you can't squeeze another week or so?

Good luck, and please work together to come up with a list of must-sees before you leave so you don't fight about it on the road! You want this trip to be all smiles!

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years