1. Default Irish guy considering Labour Day RI to DC drive

Hi there!
    Not sure if this technically classifies as a road trip... but hopefully someone can advise me... we're driving north on 95 from the Washington DC area to south of Providence RI on the Thursday night before Labor Day.

We'll wait for the worst of the local traffic to clear so it should be ok on that leg of the journey... I hope!

The crazy part will be coming back to Maryland - is it pure madness to attempt this on Monday? Would it be better if we leave RI (Galilee) on Monday evening around 7 or 8?
    Is there any hope that the worst of the traffic on 95 will be cleared by the time we get into Conn and New York?

Will traffic be bad enough to make it worth sacrificing a day of our mini vacation and driving down on Sunday evening / night instead of the Monday?
    I'm not familiar with the area so wouldn't risk alternative routes unless they were dead certs for saving time.

Thanks in advance!

Default A trip to the grocery store = a road trip!

Quote Originally Posted by lockyusa View Post
    Not sure if this technically classifies as a road trip... but hopefully someone can advise me...
    In our view any trip to anywhere is road trip. The secret is simply to notice that is IS A ROAD TRIP and then even a trip to the grocery store can be an adventure! And traveling on I-95 on Labor Day Weekend is going to be an adventure no matter what anyone thinks! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We'll wait for the worst of the local traffic to clear so it should be ok on that leg of the journey... I hope!
    Seems like a good plan to me. I wrote an article about holiday roadtrips -- while it was written for Thanksgiving and cold weather -- the tips might work for you too.
    The crazy part will be coming back to Maryland - is it pure madness to attempt this on Monday? Would it be better if we leave RI (Galilee) on Monday evening around 7 or 8?
    Is there any hope that the worst of the traffic on 95 will be cleared by the time we get into Conn and New York?
    Not really -- I think you would be better served if you could get on the road by noon or wait until Tuesday or just expect to spend quality time with a few thousand other travelers....
    Will traffic be bad enough to make it worth sacrificing a day of our mini vacation and driving down on Sunday evening / night instead of the Monday?
    Sunday is not a good idea -- but leaving earlier on Monday makes more sense to me.

Alternate routes need to be suggested by some of our local observers -- It has been too long since I tried these roads on Labor Day!

Mark

Default Oh My!

That stretch of I-95 is one of the most heavily traveled roads in the United States. That weekend is the last great driving opportunity of the summer, and in fact many people will be returning from summer long vacations at the end of it. Put those two facts together and you can see that you do indeed have some crazy, congested, crawling traffic to get through. On Thursday evening, the 'worst of the local traffic' around Washington will not clear until around 7-7:30 or even later considering that many people will be taking Friday off and using Thursday evening for their own getaway drive. My best guess is that if you try to leave at 7:30, you will get to Galilee at around 3:00 AM Friday morning. For what that drive can be like on a holiday weekend, read this report of my last drive up 'The Corridor'. The drive back on Monday would be, if anything, worse. If you can, yes, sleep in, relax, and don't leave Rhode Island until 7:30. This would put you in the New York City area around 10:00 at night. Traffic will still be heavy, but at least a fair proportion of people will be home and off the road. This gives you at least a fighting chance of getting back to Washington by 3:00 AM. There is a discussion of a few different ways through and around NYC starting here, but I think that in your case, the best option is to just try to come through New York relatively late in the evening, stick to the main through highway (I-95) and just 'grin and bear it'.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thanks Mark and AZBuck!
    I appreciate the advice and links to helpful posts.

I will probably hold off until Monday evening... unless the weather is bad and there's no point stcking around at the beach on Monday, then I might as well drive back late on Sunday evening.
    If I was by myself I would just take my time and grin and bear it... but it's harder to do that with the girlfriend beside me reminding me that she has work first thing on Tuesday morning!
    Good advice though... I'm expecting there to be delays pretty much everywhere so I'll just enjoy it when things are actually moving well!

If anyone else has an opinion feel free to shout.
    Thanks!

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

We just took the laundry to the campground washroom 3 miles away in our golf cart.
    Technically, i could report that as a roadtrip.
    (we passed several heards of wild burros BTW. wife fed them carrots)

Every drive is a roadtrip here. It's in our blood.

DC can be mad-ning for traffic from about 3:30 pm to about 7:30 pm everyday.
    If ya dodge that mess and the "corridor" through NY at those times, you should be good to go.

Have fun.