Default Honeymoon Roadtrip

Hi everyone. This is my first post, so please be gentle!
    I from the UK, and am looking at getting married next summer in Las Vegas.
    We will then have three possibly four weeks to go on a honeymoon road trip across the US. We are thinking of starting off at LA before going to Las Vegas. Then from Vegas, who knows. Obvious final destinations are NY, Miami and Chicago. But we are open to suggestions?
    What sort to of routes do you recommend for a young (25 & 21) English couple? Best vehicle? Best rental company? Places we must stop at?

Any other advise, tips, suggestions, would be much appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Month in America

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, you have time for several vacations with 3 or 4 weeks. I'm going to assume that you'll spend a week in the San Francisco to Las Vegas area, and then have another 2-3 weeks to see America on your way east. I'm going to suggest that you look at three major areas to explore as you work your way east. The first is the central Rockies. This would include the National Parks of southern Utah, the north rim of the Grand Canyon and the wonders of Colorado. The second would be the upper midwest and visits to some of the lakeside shores, historic sites, and possible foliage displays (If you'll be traveling in early to mid October). The third would be the Appalachians which would not only be another lovely venue but would put you within a day's drive of many east coast airports. Once you've picked a few general locations and time frames, people can offer more detailed suggestions.

As far as hiring a car, all the major and mid-major car hire firms are about equal in terms of the quality of their fleets and the services they provide. You can pretty much choose on the basis of price. Be aware that the 21 year old is going to pay a pretty stiff surcharge for being able to drive, typically $25/day for the entire duration of the rental, so on the order of $600. There will also be a several hundred dollar fee (drop-off charge) for leaving the car in a different city from where you pick it up. For a suitable car, I'd just go with a small to mid-sized sedan. They're your best bargain. Your contract would probably preclude you from taking any SUV off-road anyway, so renting one would be a waste. I think you're just looking for comfort and ease of driving. All American rental cars, by the way, come with automatic transmissions, which will help when trying to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road. Keep poking around RTA for a wealth of other suggestions on both destinations and driving in America.

3. Default

That was a nice place. Lots of interesting sites. It was looks like in malta valletatour .

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

In Las Vegas itself, consider the Hard Rock Hotel.
    It's not part of the campy restaurant chain (though the restaurant in front is) and still run by the creator, and run very well. Very suitable for couples your age.

Great pool, and check their site for any possible good acts you may want to see, and book ahead.

If you choose the HR, be sure to tell them you're there to get married. Some nice free upgrades & comps (freebies) may appear.

If you do want to take in any 'Vegas show, absolutely book the tickets in advance.

If your groom wants to rent a tux, perhaps Dianes on the Strip.
    She has the lowest prices, and picks up the tux free.
    She has really cool, low profile styles, and she speaks British too.
    Seriously, fast, great service at a good price.

Grand Canyon is an excellent destination from LV.

Thanks for the tips.

The route that stands out to us, is as follows.

San Francisco - LA - LV - Grand Canyon - Phoenix?? - New Orleans - Miami, then possibly NY.

Do you know of any hidden gems along this route?

Default LA to Las Vegas to Grand Canyon

My son and I did this drive just a few weeks ago. The route we took from LA to Las Vegas was wonderful. We stayed at a great little motel in Twentynine Palms, California: The Harmony Motel (where U2 stayed while working on the Joshua Tree album). This is a cheap, hidden gem in the desert.

Then we took the route north through the Mojave National Preserve. We had never seen the desert before and this route just blew us away. We made a stop in Nipton, California, and had some of the best cheeseburgers we've ever eaten.

From Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, We opted to take the Historic Route 66 up through Peach Springs, Arizona, instead of staying on I-40 all the way across to Williams, Arizona, where you head north to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Here is the route, according to Google Maps. It might take a little longer, but the drive is so beautiful, it will seem much shorter.

We stayed at one of the park lodges, the Yavapai Lodge, which was fine. There are a couple of motels and hotels right outside the park, too, which looked nice.

I'm so jealous of your upcoming trip! You will have a wonderful time. Remember to stay off the Interstates if you can. You'll see so much more of the country that way. From the Interstates the whole country looks the same. It may be more miles of driving if you stay off the Interstates, but the time will go so much faster!

Drive safely and have a great trip!

Central California

Default Lots and Lots

If you haven't done it, I just did a Google mileage map and found that you are looking at about 4,700 miles in about 75-85 hours of driving (scenic stops, bio breaks, meals, etc not included). I hope you have more than 2 weeks alotted for the trip, because you'll end up driving many more miles and hours. NOTE: The above mileage is all the way to NYC. The Miami to NYC leg is 1,300 miles and 20 hours!

I'm not going to give you the exhaustive list because a good guidebook will show you the top-level attractions. But there are a few gems I would recommend that will give you a glimpse of the human and natural history along your way.

The California Missions are unique. Purisima Mission in Lompoc, CA is one of the best in that it is restored to look much as it did 200 years ago. Many of the missions are still in active use and have been dolled up to make them more attractive to our modern eye. One of the best of those, perfect for a honeymoon picnic, is Mission San Juan Capistrano, south of LA. The grounds are gorgeous, and the mission is lovely, too. Mission San Fernando, northwest of LA, is another that has lovely grounds and beautifully restored buildings.

As art galleries go, the Getty Center off of I-5 is amazing. The setting alone makes it worth the trip. You just pay $8 for parking, then ride the tram up to the hilltop where the museum is spread out over half a dozen stikingly modern buildings. The restaurants are wonderful and the views on a pretty day are breathtaking! Many people enjoy it as a park, relaxing under the shade trees, strolling by the fountains, sculpture, etc. and never go in the galleries at all.

Native American culture is also unique so I would suggest taking I-40 through Albuquerque to see Acoma Pueblo, south of Acomita, NM and Taos Pueblo in Taos, NM. Also, El Rancho de las Golondrinas near Santa Fe and La Hacienda do los Martinez near Taos provide a special look at early 1800s Spanish settlement.

If you do go the southern route through Phoenix and Tucson, the town of Tombstone still feels classically American western; Kartchner Caverns, south of Benson is a newly developed, fascinating cave (check if reservations are needed a day in advance, they used to be); the tour of the Queen gold mine in Bisby, AZ is cool, especially on a hot day; and the Gila Cliff Dwellings, north of Silver City, NM provide a great insight into early Native American life.

To contrast with the California Missions, the Missions in San Antonio look like they were lifted right out of Spain. Mission San Jose is especially interesting, but they are all different and worth exploring. While you are in San Antonio you do have to go to the Alamo and the Riverwalk (take the boat ride). Touristy, yes, but if you are going by you might as well stop. It is interesting and lots of fun.

The Cajun/Creole culture in Louisiana is pretty different as well. I don't know a lot about the best places for food or music, but Vermilionville in Lafayette, LA is an excellent reconstructed/restored historic village with music, food and an excellent collection of furnished historic buildings from the early days of French settlement in that area. A swamp tour is also a fun thing to do, if there are any swamps left after Katrina went through (we visited just 3 months before the hurricane).

One of our favorite little communities to spend a day or two is Cedar Key, FL. It is right on the Gulf, at the end of a long road, and is very quiet, peaceful and offers good seafood.

And for uniquely tropical Florida wildlife the park at Homossasa Springs, FL is terrific. Manatees, herons, 'gators, and all sorts of other creatures are easy to see up close.

Have a great honeymoon, and a wonderful marriage,

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years