1. Default San Diego to Las Vegas

Hi, We live in Australia and will be taking a holiday to US in April 08. We are starting to plan our trip now and need some feedback on travel times. We would like to know how long it takes to drive from San Diego to Las Vegas? Is it a difficult drive or pretty straight forward (many freeways etc). Feedback would be appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default All freeway

Welcome to the RTA forum!

The most direct route from San Diego to Las Vegas is to take I-15 the whole way.

The trip usually takes about 6 hours, depending upon traffic.

3. Default Good roads the whole way...

I'll also echo this --

The fastest route from San Diego to Las Vegas is via the I-15. You catch the I-15 slightly east of downtown San Diego (it runs north-south to the east of Balboa Park, where the zoo is), and it takes you essentially straight to Las Vegas. It's a very good quality superhighway, with typically 2-4 lanes each direction of divided road. Speed limit is typically over 100 kph.

There are a couple of spots on the route where you can run into traffic, although typically the I-15 is pretty free of congestion. The spots are either in the San Diego metropolitan area from rush hour commuters, where the I-15 goes up over the Cajon pass into the high dessert (several different freeways funnel together at this point to go up over the pass from the "inland empire" area near San Bernadino to Victorville -- so there is usually some congestion at rush hour at this point), or occassionally at the I-15/ 91 junction in Riverside (weekend congestion of everyone traveling to or from the dessert).

It's a pretty fast route to Las Vegas -- potentially as short as 5 hours, but more typically 6 hours with a stop or two to stretch your legs, get gas, find a snack to eat, take a bio-break, etc. It's about 330 miles (~ 530 km).

Southern California

This thread is over 7 years old, so I'm going to update it, just in case someone else finds it.

Interstate 15 between San Bernardino and Las Vegas has been widened in many places, particularly around Barstow and points northeast.

There's one main reason for that, and that's because the traffic between LA and Las Vegas has jumped in the past number of years. This is especially true on weekends, especially the three-day weekends such as Memorial Day, Fourth of July, etc. Traffic is heavier on Fridays and Sundays. It doesn't seem to matter which direction you're going, either. Las Vegas residents seem to want to soak up the Pacific Ocean beach rays, and LA/San Diego residents want to go to the bright lights of the LV Strip.

Other than that, the congestion mentioned above is still relevant: on the Cajon Pass, Victorville, the 15/91 interchange, and (to a degree) the 15/10 interchange.