1. Default Louisville to San Fran

Well I need to get to San Francisco for a six month internship. In the past I have always just done the boring, unsafe and speedy thing and drive straight thru no matter where I was headed. I decided to slow it down a little this time and possibly see some sites and figured this would be the best place to get some ideas.

My girlfriend will be riding shotgun and due to scheduling we will probably leave Louisville on a Wednesday afternoon and she needs to catch a flight back Sunday night in SF. As noted before I don't have any problem with long hours of driving. We are not really looking to spend too terribly long anywhere, more just interested in finding the best, most interesting route with some possible quickee stops. Unusual sights or attractions are a plus. Thanks for any help or tips you can give.

Central California

Default Two routes

Two routes come to mind. One is I-64 to I-70 to Hwy 50. Along the way, this route has Arches National Park, The San Rafael Swell, The Sego Canyon Petroglyphs north of Thompson Springs, UT and the Grimes Point Petroglyphs east of Fallon, NV. It also has the distinction of taking the "Loneliest Road in America" across Nevada, which really has a wonderfully stark beauty. 2,350 miles - 36 hours of driving

The other is I-64 to I-44 in St. Louis to I-40, then either up Hwy 395 on the eastern side of the Sierra or up the Pacific Coast Highway. Along the way you go through Albuquerque, past Acoma Pueblo, Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, and possibly through Las Vegas and Death Valley, to name a few. 2,400 - 2,500 miles - 37+ hours of driving, depending on your side trips.

Your choice, but you've got a little time to enjoy some stops either way.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years