1. Default San Francisco to Las Vegas

I'm travelling with my husband and 2 friends next year. We are due to arrive in San Francisco on March 13th. We need to end up in Las Vegas by Thurs 20th March for a friends wedding that weekend and then back home to the UK so not a great deal of time. Can you recommend accommodation in san francisco for the budget concious? Also we were thinking of hiring a car and driving to Yosemite National Park then onto vegas, what do you think? we would have to leave the car in vegas? are there better route's to drive to vegas from san francisco with some touristy/sightseeing things on the way with recommended hotels/Inns also? I personally would'nt mind a nice beach to chill out for a bit before hitting vegas ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Tucson, AZ

Default Mixed Bag

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For some general background reading on RoadTrips through this neck of the woods, have a look at the discussions linked to here and here. As for finding a place in San Francisco, I tried the "Travel Reservations" button on the green toolbar at the top of this page and found a few places with rooms for under $100/night. Of what I found, I'd probably choose the Days Inn. But the drop-off charge for leaving your San Francisco rented car in Las Vegas is likely to chew up any savings you realize on accommodations - be sure to check what you're being charged for the privilege. For a beach in the San Francisco area, you might want to cross the Golden Gate Bridge and 'chill' at the Point Reyes National Seashore which has other things to offer as well.

North Norfolk Coast, UK

I traveled from San Fran to Vegas in January. I would recommend staying at the Chancellor Hotel on Union Square it is just on the corner of union square close to market street, it is rated in the top 5 on trip advisor but is great value. You can catch a cable car down to fisherman’s wharf from right outside the door. If you have time in San Fran would recommend hiring a bike from blazing saddles and biking the bridge.

Carmel is a great beach along highway 1. We dove down to LA then out to Vegas via Joshua tree NP, the Grand Canyon and a lot of the National Parks in Utah took two weeks with a lot of sight seeing.

Make sure you go to the top of the Effie tower at the Paris hotel at night whilst in Vegas. You can watch the fountains at the balagio.