1. Default Need Help With Picking Routes And Planning!!

This is my first road trip that I am planning. The plan is to go from Atlanta, Georgia to Los Angeles, California while stopping on the way to see the sights and attractions and to experience America. Then we plan to fly from California to New York where we will experience Manhattan and everything it has to offer then traveling on the road from NY back to GA. I could really use some help planning what routes on the road to take, the stops I should make, and how I should go about planning this. I have dreamed of taking a road trip since I was five years old and I want to make this dream into a reality. Thanks.

Oh yeah, it would probably help to know my interests and stuff. I really love theme parks, attractions, im big into anime, manga, and drawing, I'm really into seeing what America is really about. I want this road trip to be an adventure so anything we can stop at and go see and experience would be a great up to us. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-20-2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: continuation of previous post

Tucson, AZ

Default Routes and Planning

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The first choice you're going to have to make is which route(s) will form the backbone of each of your drives. You could for example - between Atlanta and Los Angeles - follow the Interstates I-20 and I-10. These would be faster and would let you spend a little more of whatever time you have at specific destinations along the way. Or you could follow one or two of the older US highways such as US-80 and the former US-66. These would take a fair bit longer but would let you see and experience more of the country you're travelling through and give you a better chance of actually interacting with people along the way. In part this choice will be a trade-off between how much time and money you have and what you want to see and accomplish. Either choice, or a mixture of the two, would let you see any of the attractions in between.

For the New York to Atlanta leg, you face a similar choice between I-95/I-85, or coming down the Shenandoah Valley on I-81, or taking the scenic two-lanes along the crest of the Appalachians, the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway.

So first you need to figure out what your budget is in terms of both time and money, and then figure out how best to use what's available to you in the way of options for each leg. Only you can do that. All we can do is point out what the choices are. The very last thing to do, and you're not there yet, is to add the 'frosting on the cake', the stops. There will be no shortage of these no matter which roads you choose to drive.

Central California

Default How Long?

Hi thechosenone (I'd love to hear the background behind that screename),

So, how many weeks do you have set aside for this trip? I'd think you'll want at least three (two to get across the country, a few days in NYC and a few days to to get to GA) minimum.

I'm not sure how to work your interest in animation and art into this trip, unless you like art museums to see and dramatic scenery to draw. Perhaps Native American art, which is mostly line art with solid color fills and striking designs, patterns and symbolism, would be of interest. If so, I'd recommend spending some time in Albuquerque visiting the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center and several of the galleries in Old Town. Also, Santa Fe has great galleries and Indian Art Museums. These could be a real eye-opener, they were for me.

Also, there are several pictograph and petroglyph sites that are easy to get to. A few that I can think of right off are the Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque, Three Rivers Petroglyph Site north of Alamogordo, NM, Valley of Fire State Park (near Las Vegas), and Petrified Forest National Monument in Arizona.

Finally, to meet some Native American artists and talk about their work visit some of the pueblos such as Acoma Pueblo, west of Albuquerque. Their use of traditional materials and the talent and skill required to do their work will blow your mind!

Also, there are several western/cowboy art museums in Oklahoma City and Dallas that you could visit, depending on which route you take.

There are several museums in LA that include animation, cartooning, etc, so I'd recommend doing some research in that area.

Dramatic scenery is just about everywhere if you look for it. Most obviously, you'll want to visit the Grand Canyon, but also White Sands National Monument (near Alamogordo, NM), Monument Valley, Zion National Park, Bryce National Park, and maybe Carlsbad Caverns for starters. The colors and shapes you'll find are unique and fascinating.

I'll let those with more experience between NY and GA comment on that part of the itinerary.

If you allow enough time, you could have a phenomenal trip.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years