1. Default Montreal-Vermont-Boston-Providence-NY

Hi everybody,

First post - my name's Nicolas, I'm from Chicago.

I'm planning on visiting a few friends in Montreal, Boston, Providence and NY in September. I thought I might rent a car in Montreal and try to find a nice, scenic path connecting these cities. My idea was to drive down the Connecticut River Byway, on the border of Vermont and NH.

Then somehow maybe stop midway in Vermont and cross NH to Maine. I heard Maine is absolutely gorgeous in the fall, so I wouldn't mind doing somewhat of a bend. Then down to Boston & NY.

Does this sound like the beginning of a good plan to you ? Can you recommend any itineraries, or must see roads in the area ? Is beginning September a good time to see the region or would late September be better ? I will have about two (maybe three) weeks for the whole trip.

I thank you in advance for your input,

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-20-2007 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Preferred link format

Tucson, AZ

Default My Favorite Topic

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As a former New Englander, I'm certainly not going to find fault with a general plan to see this section of the country in the Fall. One thing I think you need to look into carefully is your plan to rent a car in Montréal and drive it into the States. This might be possible, but I think it would be easier to fly into somewhere in the US - Burlington, VT and Hartford, CT are two good regional airports you might consider in addition to Boston or Providence- and do a round trip returning the car to the same city you picked it up in. You will have to make sure that the rental contract allows you to take the car into Canada, but I just think this would present fewer obstacles. As for things to see and do, and some scenic roads between them, read over the discussions linked to in this post and see if that doesn't give you a number of ideas. Pretty much all the roads in northern New England will be scenic at that time of year, so if the one you're on has too much traffic for you, just choose another.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default New England Treasures

Hi Nicolas and welcome to the RTA Forum!

I heard Maine is absolutely gorgeous in the fall
    Fall is amazing pretty much everywhere in the North East actually. You might want to head to the Eastern Townships before crossing into the U.S. The area around Mt Orford is particularly impressive and colourful. If you're in a hurry, you can take I-10 and I-55 to I-91, but I suggest you take more time and drive around Brome Lake (exit 90 off I-10) and then go west using QC 245, Nicholas-Austin Rd by Lake Memphremagog and go through the beautiful city of Magog. Lots of great scenery, restaurants and boutiques that way. Another option : take exit 78 off I-10, turn right at Shefford blvd, go through Bromont, then take QC 241 south to Cowansville, follow directions to Dunham and Frelighsburgh. You can cross into Vermont from either Frelighsburgh or St. Armand. A lot of the small towns I mentionned have been voted some of the most beautiful villages of the Province of Quebec. On that last route, you will go through farm land with lots of wineries (try ice wine or ice cider), fine cuisine restaurant, and historical sites.

Vermont is beautiful any time of the year, but especially during Fall. A few of my favourite scenic roads :

VT-108 from Smuggler's Notch to Stowe
    -3 Mountains Lodge Restaurant;
    -art galleries in Stowe;
    -at the top of Smuggler's Notch, look left. You'll see a beautiful waterfall on the other mountain;

VT-125 a.k.a. Middlebury Gap Road
    -Middlebury is a cute small town;
    -Robert Frost interpretative Trail;
    -Look for the many waterfalls along the way;

VT-118 & 109 covered bridges from East Berkshire to Jeffersonville
    -There are at least 5 covered bridges along these two roads.

VT-105 and 109 from Richford to Belvidere
    -mountain scenery;
    -Jay Peak hiking trails;

Other destionations :
    Burlington and vicinity
    -Shelburne Museum;
    -Church Street Market Place;
    -Vermont Teddy Bear Company;
    -ferry to NY State;
    -Waterfront Park;
    -Daily Planet Restaurant;
    -Discovery Channel Boutique;
    -Peace & Justice Center;

-Lake Champlain Chocolates;
    -Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour;

St. Johnsbury
    -cute typical small town;
    -Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium;
    -Maple Grove Farms;

Lake Willoughby (Westmore) & Crystal Lake (Barton)

-Bennington Battle Monument;
    -The Apple Barn;
    -Robert Frost Grave;
    New Hampshire is also a good destination to see the foliage. The White Mountains region (I-93/highway 3) is full of surprises and things to do for people of all ages. You can go hiking if that's your thing. Mt Lafayette is my favourite although Mt Washington is higher. If you feel lazy, you can still drive your car to the top of Mt Washington or ride the train. If you enjoy shopping, head to North Conway's Factory Outlets.

Central Maine and Central Massachussetts both have a lot of leafy trees. The coast is interesting all year long. Some area are more touristy and some more rugged and quiet (mostly as you go north). If you go through the Lowell area during the first week of October, take part in the celebrations of the Jack Kerouac Festival.

Boston is a clean historical city. Take the Freedom Trail to see some of those historical sites : Tea Party Museum, Old State House, Old North Church, USS Constitution at Old Navy Yard, Bunker Hill Monument, etc. You can do other tours as well like the Literary Trail, the Boston Art Tour, the Movie Tour or the Black Heritage Trail. Take the ferry to Cape Cod and take a walk down the sand dunes at Herring Cove and browse through boutiques and art galeries on Commercial Avenue in Provincetown. Have a beer at Cheers on Beacon St., go to Harvard's Campus in Cambridge and have a cappuccino at one of their sidewalk café, go to a game at Fenway Park, go shopping and people-watching at colonial Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, take the elevator ride up the Hancock Tower, visit Paul Revere's House, etc.

September a good time to see the region or would late September be better
    If you want to see some colors, I suggest late September-mid October.

Have a fun trip!

4. Default

Thank you Gen and AZBuck for your thorough replies. I should definitely check for the car rental thing in Canada. Wow, and now I have this great list of roads - couldn't have found a better place to ask this question !

Thanks again,