Thread: Detroit to LA

1. Default Detroit to LA

Hey folks,
    This is an awesome board. Anyway, my best friend (known each other since junior high school) and myself are planning to leave in early September for Los Angeles from Detroit, Michigan.

We are both moving in with his Aunt in Maui and his car is being shipped from the LA area.

-What is the best and least expensive route to take?
    -We have some time to do this... anywhere between 5 and 10 days.
    -We are planning on camping/sleeping in the car/staying with people from globalfreeloaders.com
    -I am a beginner photographer and would love to take advantage of this trip.
    -Any suggestions on how we can have a wild, crazy, fun, safe trip would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Nick and Mike

Default Detroit to Maui!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadTripper Detroit View Post
    We are both moving in with his Aunt in Maui and his car is being shipped from the LA area.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! That is a wild shift of culture and geography to go from Detroit to Maui!
    -What is the best and least expensive route to take?
    It would be easy to get about 100 different routes in response to this question -- it is very hard to define what "best" means. Some starters: even though he is your best friend, you still might want to both take this quiz and use the result to help plan this adventure.
    -We have some time to do this... anywhere between 5 and 10 days.
    It is about 2300 miles by the most direct route (I-80 > I-76 I-70 > I-15) and would take you 4-5 days (traveling at least eight hours each day). In addition to be the fastest route, it will take you through the Colorado Rockies where there are plenty of options for side trips.

Mark

Default Interesting trip

and even more interesting destination.

As you've probably read if you've looked around this forum at all, routes through southern Utah are high on many peoples list as a great way to get from I-70 west of Colorado to the Grand Canyon and on to Los Angeles.

And I'm going to suggest the same to you. The route from Arches National Park to Capitol Reef, to Bryce, Zion, north rim of the Grand Canyon, south rim of the Grand Canyon, and on to LA is an awesome and photogenic route that will pretty well consume your 10 days if you spend some time in each park, camping, hiking and taking pictures.

If you are moving to Maui, I doubt that you'll be in this area again soon, and it isn't like any place you've seen in Michigan or will see in Hawaii.

Have a great time, and don't forget to do a photo album or website with your pix when you get done.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years