1. Default Diving from Newport Beach Ca to Sacramento

I am driving from Newport Beach CA to Sacramento which is the best way Interstate 5 or PCH? Also, which is better driving south to north or north to south. I am doing this in Sept. and I want to get there the fast way coming back can be slower.

Default I-5 is the fastest route

Quote Originally Posted by SRLRITA View Post
    I am driving from Newport Beach CA to Sacramento which is the best way Interstate 5 or PCH?
    The Pacific Coast Highway doesn't go anywhere near Sacramento. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! The fastest route is I-5, it is about 430 miles and depending upon what day and time you leave Orange County, could take 7-8 hours. If you were to use the PCH and then cross the Golden Gate Bridge and then cut eastward to Sacramento, the trip would be about 625 miles and could easily take 14 hours to drive... (but the scenery would be divine).

Mark

3. Default

We are planning on leaving Newport Beach about 10 am. I know the PCH doesn't go all the way to Sac and I would have to go cut in eastwood. I was looking for the best time and how is the traffic on I-5 at that time.

Default Crowded and busy

We are planning on leaving Newport Beach about 10 am. I was looking for the best time and how is the traffic on I-5 at that time.
    Leaving at 10:00 am on any day, you need to be prepared for heavy traffic until you reach the central valley. Basically, you need to figure that your first 125 miles will have average speeds of about 45 mph -- (there will be brief sections where you might reach the posted speed limit) but for the most part it will be heavy urban congestion with speeds in the mid to low 30's.

Mark

5. Default

Thank you that is what I wanted to know. I am from Boston so it gives me idea of what it is like, that is how it is here between 6-10 am. I wanted to drive straight up so that way I can come down thru SF then to Carmel and along the coast. We are staying in Sac for one night and then I figured we would stay in Carmel or there abouts on our way back. 125 miles takes me on the other side of LA as Newport Beach is 44 miles south of LA. If I leave at 10:00 am I should get to Sac about 6 pm. I am bring my GPS so it should be able also to tell me if there is an accident. Is there a radio station that gives the traffic update every 8-10 min? One other thing I am arriving at LAX on Sat at 10:30, then get my luggage and car I hope to be on the road by 12:00 noon. How will I-5 be going down to Newport Beach?

6. Default Options and suggestion....

If you're leaving from Newport Beach at 10 am the traffic is going to depend upon the day of the week -- Obviously, weekdays you have to contend with rush hour work traffic.

To get out of the LA basin from Newport Beach there are basically 2 routes, both with pluses and minuses. The first route is to get onto the 405 freeway and stick with it until you can catch I-5 north up past Magic Mountain to the grapevine and into the Central Valley. The plus on this route is there is a carpool lane on the freeway up past LAX (LA international airport), so it will move quite quickly even when quite congested if you can use the carpool lane. However, past LAX through the Santa Monica/ Westwood/ West LA area and up over the Sepulveda Pass, it will probably be quite congested. Once past that, there's another carpool lane which will take you up through the valley.

The alternative route is to go west to the 605 (San Gabriel) freeway, and take it north to the 210 freeway, and then that west to the I-5 just before it heads out of the San Fernando Valley. There's a car pool lane on this route over almost the entire length of the 605, and the 210 freway is usually pretty open and high speed, other than sometimes a section through Pasadena. The drawback of this route is it's a bit longer, and more complicated -- a couple of freeway changes, and one funky transition in Pasadena where the 210 veers off northwest and you have to look sharp to make sure you're in the right lane for the transition. I typically take the 605/210 route out of the OC if I'm concerned about traffic and can use the carpool lane.

Do not take the I-5 through downtown LA. That's one of the 2 busiest freeways in the entire area, and is swamped pretty much all day.

Leaving on a Friday in June, I made it to Sacramento via this route in about 7-8 hours, starting at 7 am and arriving at our destination near Sacramento (Rancho Cordova, a bit east of downtown Sac) by about 2:30 or 3. We made one picnic lunch stop for about 30 minutes, but pretty much drove through. Depending upon where you're going in Sacramento, you can run into traffic there as well if you hit rush hour (just like any major city...)

I'm not sure how your GPS unit will be able to tell you if there is an accident. To get that information, it needs to tap into some type of additional information instead of the nav satellite signals. I don't know of that service available, other than through a live web link.

Heading out of LA there are two radio stations, at 710 and 1070 on the AM band if I recall correctly, which do traffic reports every 10 minutes. One does them on the "1's" (8:01, 8:11, 8:21, etc.) and the other on the "6's" (8:06, 8L16, 8:26, etc.) . Most of the other stations do traffic every 30 minutes to an hour during rush hour.

If you're coming into LAX and departing at about 12 noon, traffic should be lunch hour traffic, but not heavy rush hour traffic. If you're heading to Newport Beach, you have two options. The best option is to get on the 405 freeway (sometimes called the San Diego Freeway) and head south to Newport Beach. It's the most direct route, and probably the fastest. Again, the 405 has a carpool lane on the inside of the freeway for cars with 2 or more passengers in it. That can really speed you along and cut the drive by 1/2 even in the heaviest rush hour traffic.

Your other option is to take the 105 (Century) freeway east from the airport area (it starts just south of the runways) to the 605 freeway, and then either hook south to the 405, or the 91 freeway (you'd head then farther east on the 91 to the I-5 and then take the congested I-5 past Disneyland to the Newport Freeway (55) and then south to the 405). The 105 has a carpool lane and can move pretty quickly if you're in it, but its more complicated route, and if you're heading to Newport beach, I'm not sure why you want to get to the I-5.

If you're staying in Newport Beach, the fastest route will probably be the more direct route south on the 405, partciularly if you can use the carpool lane.

7. Default

Thank you for the good advice, we have HOV lanes here and if two of us are traveling we always use them it is definately much faster during rush hour. I will try and get AAA to map this for me. I didn't realize I couldn't get traffic on my GPS it says traffic (I have never tried it) unless I was tied into a service.

8. Default Gps?

Thank you for the good advice, we have HOV lanes here and if two of us are traveling we always use them it is definately much faster during rush hour. I will try and get AAA to map this for me. I didn't realize I couldn't get traffic on my GPS it says traffic (I have never tried it) unless I was tied into a service.
    I believe I've seen some GPS units which will calculate an alternative route for you, if you tell the unit you've run into heavy traffic. That is, if you're driving down a highway and run into dead stopped traffic, it will give you the next best route as an option.

But to get traffic data, the GPS has to pick up local data from somewhere. I know the data is available through internet feeds for most cities, and sometimes through a side channel on local radio for public service organizations, but I've not seen a GPS unit which uses this. (Which isn't to say that yours doesn't -- just that I've not seen one yet)

Does your GPS unit require a monthly or annual subscription fee? if it does, you might have a linkage into these services.

9. Default

I looked it up in my book and you are right I have to subscribe to a service. Thank you again for your assistance on this I have done a triptik thru AAA for both routes. Also, from LAX to Newport. Even though I have a GPS I like to have it down in writing and maps that I can look at.