1. Default Ohio to Glacier National Park (and a few places in between!)

My husband and I are planning our first trip out west and have chosen to do it by road. We have 15 full days to use for our trip from the day we pull out of northwest ohio to the day that we need to be back. We would like to go to both Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park. So, Montana and Wyoming are on our list and we would also like to work in a few other stop overs in between. Maybe North or South Dakota, etc.

Can anyone give me suggestions for either 1) a suggested route with stopovers/sights, 2) a resource to use to come up with a plan? This is overwhelming and we want to make sure that we use our travel time wisely and also take in any "must sees".

Tucson, AZ

Default A Skeleton

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For starters, all you really need is a basic framework to hang the rest of your trip planning on. So, a straightforward routing would go something like: I-90 to central Wisconsin, and then follow I-94 when the two highways split. Continue through Minnesota and North Dakota, then in Montana use MT-200 and MT-13 to strike northwest to US-2 which will bring you to Browning, MT and the Glacier National Park area. Between Glacier and Yellowstone, use a combination of US and Interstate highways - US-89/US-287/I-15/US-287/I-90(east)/US-89. For your homebound leg, US-14 across northern Wyoming will bring you to I-90 which you can follow all the way home.

So, get a good map of the US, or better yet an atlas, and just mark that route on it. This will let you visualize where you'll be going and what you'll be passing near that you might want to add to your trip. Where you'll stop each night will depend on how much you feel like driving on average and how many stops you'll be making each day, but a fair rule-of-thumb is that a 500 mile day can still be relaxing and allow a couple of short stops near the highway. So you're looking at 3-4 days travel between Ohio and your western destinations.

Finally, start deciding what you might want to see along the way. It doesn't have to be a hard and fast list - you're not running a tour here - but just so you know what's available. Good sources of information are the state tourism web sites, just Google 'tourism OR attraction statename' and you'll get lots of ideas. Since you now have your map with your basic route marked on it, you can just use MapQuest or Google Maps or other such programs to see where a given attraction is and whether it's within range of the roads you'll be driving anyway. And, of course, we like to think that the web site you're currently on is another great source of ideas. Look through the ever growing list of state attractions (A to Z) or just use the search function and browse through the many posts here describing trips similar (at least in part) to the one you're about to make.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-18-2007 at 02:14 PM.