Default Old Lodges and Inns

My husband and I love to travel to the National Parks and stay at some of the old lodges there. We have been to many of them, including Grand Canyon (both rims), Bryce, Zion, Crater Lake, Oregon Caves, Glacier, Mt. Rainier, Banff Springs, Jasper, Lake Louise - I'm probably leaving something out. Anyway, does anyone know of any other old lodges - not necessarily within national parks? We went to Timberline Lodge in Oregon a few years ago. We love the atmosphere at these old places. I have tried to find books on this subject to use as a resources, but haven't found what I was looking for. Maybe someone out there knows of a great old lodge that we are unaware of. Doesn't much matter where it is. Thanks!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default One near here

Since your title was "lodges and inns" - here is the Mount Washington Inn.

Here is a short list of inns around Virginia's Shenandoah Valley.

Many of the old taverns that doubled as inns have gone by the wayside. One in my area is the Publick House, which still offers both meals and lodging.

Tucson, AZ

Default More Grande Dames

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Quite different from our normal requests!

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO, just outside Rocky Mountain National Park, was the inspiration for Stephen King's "The Shining". Besides the Mount Washington, that Tim mentioned, there is also the Mountain View Grand in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT. For a coastal New England setting, try Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle, NH. Moving to the upper midwest, and back onto National Park land, there is the Rock Harbor Lodge on Isle Royale, while in the southwest corner of the continental US, there's the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego.

4. Default Another One..

Another one to add to the list, although its more of a hotel than an Inn, is the "Mission Inn" in Riverside California. Always been one of my favorite places to stay, and has recently been restored after being pretty decrepit for some years.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Not really the same but....

Quote Originally Posted by PCruzer View Post
    We love the atmosphere at these old places.
    The Stanford Inn in Mendocino is not really an old lodge of that type -- but the ethos of the place overcomes its more pedestrian of beginings. It remains one of my favorite inns in the USA.

Thanks to all who responded. Great suggestions! We really got interested in the old lodges after seeing a PBS series on TV. I think it was called Great Lodges of the West. I am so glad that there were people who had the foresight to preserve these great old places. Thanks again for the great ideas.

Central California

Default Been to Naniboujou?

Great subject. We haven't stayed at this place, but if the accommodations are as nice as the restaurant it must be great.

Check into the Naniboujou Lodge near Grand Marais, MN on the north shore of Lake Superior. Beautiful location right on the lake and a truly unique interior.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

This looks exactly like the type of place we love! Never been there. Thanks for responding. I am going to check into it!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-22-2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: format