1. Default Scenic Trip up the California / Oregon coast

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has already been addressed. My wife and I are planning a road trip the first 2 weeks of October. We are going to fly from Va. to Sacramento, rent a car and drive to Yosemite for a few days. Then we are going to drive to the coast for a leisurely drive up the coast and then fly back out of Portland. Our goal is to enjoy as much nature as we can. We will be camping as much as possible so one of my questions is; during that time of year would I need to make reservations at campgrounds? Also, for our drive up the coast, would route 1 or 101 be a better scenic route keeping in mind that we want to visit as many State and National parks as possible along the way? Realizing we only have a limited amount of time, are there certain "must see" places along the way? We will of course have to stay at hotels some of the time so are there certain towns, or more specifically, reasonably priced hotels along the way that could be recommended? I'm new to this so any help is appreciated.

Default Leisurely Drive?

Quote Originally Posted by n8urlover View Post
    My wife and I are planning a road trip the first 2 weeks of October.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- Just about the entire month of October is perfect for roadtripping in North America. The one thing you need to factor in this year -- is the very real chance of wildfires along almost, if not all of your route. With prudent awareness you can avoid any problems, but some of the areas may not be available for camping if the current fire season continues to worsen, as expected.
    We are going to fly from Va. to Sacramento, rent a car and drive to Yosemite for a few days. Then we are going to drive to the coast for a leisurely drive up the coast
    I wonder how much time you are allotting to this drive? You probably will have enough time -- but there are some many incredible places that you will not have time to see everything as you go north.

Here are some threads you ought to read and then come back and ask more specific questions if you need to.

Crater Lake and Mt. St. Helens -- by Peter Thody
    Northern California and up the coast -- also by Peter
    Some Portland area ideas
    We will be camping as much as possible so one of my questions is; during that time of year would I need to make reservations at campgrounds?
    On weekends, it still would be wise.

Happy Planning!

Mark

Default Some suggestions

You should definitely hit the 101 while cruising up CA. It is a gorgeous drive and you can do some kitchy things on the way to the Redwood Forest like the Avenue of the Giants or the Drive Thru Tree. Ferndale is a cute Victorian town to stop in or outside of Arcata is Patrick's Point. That is gorgeous too.
    There are plenty of places to camp but beware Northern CA is going to be wet and rainy. You can check on reserveamerica.com to scope out campgrounds and make reservations. Beware of bears and Bigfoot! ;) Hope you have a blast.

Default A few more things

Just outside of Yosemite is Mono Lake, which is beautiful. While in Yosemite make sure to check out Half Dome, Toulumne Meadows and Tenaya Lake. I was there last week and took plenty of pictures!
    One more bonus of taking the 101 is that you can see Mt Shasta, which is breathtaking!

5. Default

We are wanting to do this same trip in February of this year.
    I would like some current advice on this trip. We will fly into Portland and drive to California on 1.

Welcome to the RTA Forum, Julie!

While we appreciate that you've spent some time looking around and found this old thread, it would really be better for you to create a new thread where you lay out your plan (who is going, how long you'll be gone, what you hope to see and do, etc) and tell us what kind of advice you are looking for.

In the meantime, be sure to look at the links posted above, while they are a bit old, they still have very useful information.