1. Default Northwest Road Trip - Salt Lake Loop

Hey everyone...

Our September road trip has been finalized and we have a couple of questions I'm hoping some of you can answer. Here's the itinerary:

Day 1: Salt Lake City
    Day 2: Grand Teton/Yellowstone NP
    Day 3: Glacier NP
    Day 4: Spokane
    Day 5: Seattle
    Day 6: Portland
    Day 7: Boise
    Day 8: Salt Lake City

1) Since this is my first road trip renting a car, I'm wondering if anyone who has done this route or legs of it can recommend if an SUV is necessary. Knowing that a good portion is driving thru the Rocky Mountains and National Parks, it seems appropriate on paper too rent one, but no clue if it's necessary?

2) We have 1-2 extra days in the trip to use on any given leg. We're thinking of spending them in Glacier NP, and/or Yellowstone NP? Which one would you spend the extra day in? Also we're stopping in Spokane only to break that driving day to Seattle apart, but how hard/long is it to drive to Seattle directly from Glacier NP?

3) Any other roadside attractions/National Parks/off the beaten path interesting things to see that anyone can recommend are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
    Safe travels.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-11-2007 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added the link to the original planning threads

Default Not really!

Quote Originally Posted by goodolerockytop View Post
    1) Since this is my first road trip renting a car, I'm wondering if anyone who has done this route or legs of it can recommend if an SUV is necessary. Knowing that a good portion is driving thru the Rocky Mountains and National Parks, it seems appropriate on paper too rent one, but no clue if it's necessary?
    Nah, by the terms of the rental agreement you can't take a rental vehicle off-pavement and so there is real advantage in renting a SUV. Unless you just like them. Their mileage won't be as good -- but the are easier to stow some stuff -- it is a toss-up.
    2) We have 1-2 extra days in the trip to use on any given leg. We're thinking of spending them in Glacier NP, and/or Yellowstone NP?
    I really like both parks, -- but given the choice I would pick Yellowstone for the different environments you can get to.
    , but how hard/long is it to drive to Seattle directly from Glacier NP?
    That is about six hundred miles -- which would require 10-11 hours of travel. But I wouldn't go that way anyway. From Glacier I would go follow US-2 (which I grant you could go to Spokane) but just stay on US-2 and go over Stevens Pass (very scenic) and plan to spend the night in Leavenworth!

Mark

Default Alaska?

You've knocked Alaska on the head? Or have just postponed it for another time? That sounds like a cool trip up there!

There are some useful tips on this topic, particularly from RedCorral. The three national parks sound great but, as per the advice in the linked thread, are you sure you're gonna have time to squeeze them all in?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-11-2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Format for clarity

4. Default

Thanks for the responses!

UKCraig...we did inevitably decide to cross Alaska off for this trip. While it was very tempting to travel the "Crown Jewel" of road trips through Yukon Territory, ultimately we couldn't find a rental car agreement that would allow us to pick it up in the lower 48 and return it in Alaska. The challenge of such a trip was luring, but when realistics of travel time and costs were weighed, it seemed like a better idea to save Alaska for a separate road trip where we could really explore and appreciate it.

...That being said, I think we've landed upon a pretty good route, that will allow us to explore some unique areas of the US. Squeezing so many national parks we are well aware is our biggest challenge. Considering you could easily spend an entire summer in any given park, trying to get a good glimpse in a day or two is not ideal for us, but getting to see these areas of our country in general is rare opportunity.

Editor...thanks for the advice. I checked our Leavenworth, looks like a beautiful town, definitely on our itinerary now. I love discovering off the beaten path destinations like this? Any others you can recommend on route? Our last day is scheduled to be from Portland to Boise...is there somewhere better in there to see or visit?

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

5. Default Salt Lake City Loop

Hey everyone,

You all have been a great resource...Wondering if anyone can recommend the best place to camp out in Yellowstone and in Glacier National Park. Doesn't have to be the common touristy campgrounds, but since these stops are just points of a larger road trip, we probably can't do a ten mile hike to get to camp.

Any opinions or links to other threads where this may have been discussed are greatly appreciated.

Safe travels everyone!

Default A book resource

Quote Originally Posted by goodolerockytop View Post
    Wondering if anyone can recommend the best place to camp out in Yellowstone and in Glacier National Park.
    It has been too long since I camped in either park -- there is book that I am supposed to have reviewed by now... but I haven't got it completely read -- but the new Lonely Planet guide to Yellowstone is quite excellent.

Mark

7. Default White Water Rafting/Fly Fishing in Glacier???

Anyone know of any good companies offering white water rafting and or fly fishing in Glacier National Park? Thanks!!!