1. Default SF to Austin in with dog in *4 days*

Hi all-

Any advice is most definitely appreciated!!!

My wife, the dog, and I are traveling from the SF area to Austin, too, but are going to have closer to *4* days to make it happen.

We're leaving on the afternoon/evening of August 17th and want to arrive in Austin no later than the 21st, before it gets too late in the evening.

A few questions:

Our AAA person had us taking 40 to Oklahoma City and catching 35. Does that make sense?

We are considering taking 25 south from 40, but I saw that we have fans of 285 on this post. Is 285 a major enough road to travel at-speed? Any 25 fans/detractors?

The dog does add a new wrinkle, so every case, we're absolutely interested in pet-friendly hotels (and activities) to hit on the way.

Thanks so much in advance!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 08-15-2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Removed reference to duplicate (deleted) post

Default Huh?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I really don't understand (at all!) why AAA is sending you to OKC. It's 250 miles out of your way. The most direct route is just down I-5 to the L.A Basin and then I-10/I-20 to Austin (with the last little bit on US-290). Is there a reason you want to be on I-40? It does give access to the Grand Canyon and some other venues, but there's plenty to see in southern Arizona and New Mexico as well.

AZBuck

Default Traveling with your doggie

Quote Originally Posted by caTX View Post
    The dog does add a new wrinkle, so every case, we're absolutely interested in pet-friendly hotels (and activities) to hit on the way
    Here are some more tips on this subject.

Mark

4. Default

Hi AZBuck- Our original plan was to take the very route that you mention. The AAA person (who had never been to Austin, ahem) said that 40 was a much nicer drive--Oklahoma hill country???, but that route looked goofy to me even without my needing to consult a highschool geometry book.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this question: "We are considering taking 25 south from 40, but I saw that we have fans of 285 on this post. Is 285 a major enough road to travel at-speed? Any 25 fans/detractors?"

Thanks very much!

Default Time-wise, It's probably Pretty Close to a Wash, But...

OK, so we're just looking at the bit between Albuquerque and Fort Stockton. Personally, I'd come down on the side of US-285 for a number of reasons. First it's over 100 miles shorter; second, I just prefer the pace and attitude of driving those (usually) wide-open 4-lane roads through the desert southwest as opposed to the semi-clogged, plastic architectured Interstates; and third, there are a number of things worth stopping for along US-285 including Roswell, NM, Carlsbad Caverns, and Loving county, Texas where the speed limit on the two-lane TX-302 (75 mph) is higher than on the nearby I-20 (70).

AZBuck

AZBuck

6. Default

Took your advice and had a good drive. Thank you so much for your time! Me, the wife, the dog, and the crazy critters in his little cocker-spaniel brain really appreciate it!

Roswell was fun; I'm definitely going to have to try to find an excuse to get back there and spend more time one of these days...

Cheers!

rob