1. Default Ready for advise--San Antonio to Las Vegas

I have a preliminary route planned to visit our daughter in Las Vegas. We have 6 days to drive out and 6 days back. This will be end of October, beginning November. Would appreciate comments, things to see, places to stay, things to eat etc. Have I missed something important? We haven't done a road trip in quite awhile.
    Day 1 Leave San Antonio & drive to Carlsbad, NM.
    Day 2&3 See Carlsbad Caverns Drive to Santa Fe to stay, see sights and Taos
    Day 4 Drive to Albuquerque, see old town, drive to Gallup for the night
    Day 5 See petrified forest, meteor crater, Walnut Canyon and Stay in Flagstaff
    Day 6 Arrive in Las Vegas
    Return a week later
    Day 1 Las Vegas to Prescott, AZ
    Day 2 Tuzigoot Nat. Monument, Stay at Sedona
    Day 3 Casa Grande Ruins, stay at Florence or Tucson
    Day 4 Chiricahua Nat. Monument or Tombstone, stay at Wilcox, AZ
    Day 5 Drive to Messilla, Nm eat at La Posta de Messilla, stay at Las Cruces?
    Day 6 Stay at Ft. Davis, Star party at McDonald Observatory
    Day 7 San Antonio

Tucson, AZ

Default Well Done - Is There Always Room for One More?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

And thanks for sharing your expertise regarding AAA

Quote Originally Posted by 1drifter
    We haven't done a road trip in quite awhile.
    Then it's high time you got back in the saddle. You certainly don't seem to have lost your touch in setting a reasonable pace and still packing in a lot of the best sights along the way. I only have a few suggestions for things you may have overlooked and may still be able to squeeze in, But anybody who knows to include Tuzigoot and the Chiricahuas doesn't need much help. The Taos Pueblo is certainly worth a visit if you can spare the time, as is the Kit Carson Home. While in the Prescott-Sedona area, also take some time for Jerome, a funky little ex-mining town perched on a hillside. Between Tucson and Tombstone, consider Kartchner Caverns, and if you use US-90 between Fort Davis and San Antonio, you can visit both the Judge Roy Bean Saloon and Museum in Langtry, and the set used to film the movie, The Alamo,

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-15-2007 at 05:00 PM.

3. Default

There's always room for one more great sight along the way! Thanks for the great suggestions! The trip really looks like it is taking shape--and I just can't wait to get on the road again!

Central California

Default New Mexico

Looks like a well thought out trip. We love New Mexico for its green chilis (in just about everything and wonderful in anything) and the Native American presence.

Besides Taos Pueblo, we HIGHLY recommend Acoma Pueblo between Albuquerque and Gallup. If you just see those two you'll have a good overview of the pueblo Indian culture.

Don't forget to stroll by the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe and visit with the artisans selling their high-quality wares. They are just as good, if not exactly the same, as you'll see in the shops. But meeting the artists is an extra treat. Ask lots of questions.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

5. Default

Thanks so much, Craig. This is just the kind of info I was hoping to get on this site. I have added Acoma Pueblo to the itinerary. I had a vague idea about Palace of the Governors--seems like there is more to see & do in Santa Fe & Taos than we can ever squeeze in--but now we'll definitely take a look at the artisans in that area. Thanks, Shari