1. Default rental car insurance??

hi there,

can anyone give an idea on rental car insurance in the USA.
    im coming from the uk in 2008 to drive NYC to miami in a rental car and im a little confused on what i insurance i get/need when renting.

as some may be aware, i, driving in the uk need driving insurance to cover at the very least a 3rd party in the event of an accident. or indeed, 3rd party fire and theft, or fully comprehensive insurance.

all that ive seen mentioned on rental websites is 'personal accident insurance' and 'national protection plus'.

im wondering what the difference between these 2 are? whether i need them both? or whether the rental compamy would be providing the insurance i need anyway and im just being blind to it.

thanks in advance

Default it can be confusing

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You certainly aren't the first person to be confused by all of the insurance termanology, it can be really puzzling.

This thread has a pretty nice breakdown on what some of the more common terms mean.

Insurance will not be included with the basic cost of renting a car. However, the first thing I would do is to talk to whoever provides your car insurance in the UK. There is a pretty good chance that whatever coverage you have on your car over there will cover you for a rental car in the US - but again, you'll have to check with your agent to see what your specific policy does or does not cover.

Default Other Insurance You May Already Have

Michael is correct that your best source of insurance is one you may already be paying for, your own carrier, but also check with your credit card companies. Some of them provide basic coverage when/if you charge the rental on their card. And if you're a member (if they even still exist) of AA or RAC, check if they offer any coverage as part of your membership.

AZBuck

4. Default

this is all great advice, thankyou so much.

i just still feel though that there must be something im missing.
    all of the insurance that i need to drive in the USA, can i buy this ALL from say 'national' car rental company.

cost isnt 'necessarily' an issue. i just wanted to make sure im properly covered. in an ideal world, i would like to say to national, "give me all the insurance i need to for me and other road users to be covered please".

does that sound a bit unrealistic to you guys though??

i suppose i just want it simple and it cant always be.

thanks again though guys.

Default What they'll say

I can pretty much assume that if you say: "give me all the insurance i need to for me and other road users to be covered please," they will sell you every type of insurance they have available. If you want simplicity and don't care about cost, that's fine.

Insurance is a pretty high profit add-on for most car rental companies, so they often do a nice hard sale to get you to purchase it. However, alot of the coverage is duplicated, and isn't really needed for most people.

Buck is right about checking with your credit card companies too, however there is one red flag that I've found. Credit card companies typically only provide coverage if you decline all of the other insurance offered by the car rental agency.

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

When quoted insurance rates, be sure to ask daily or weekly.
    They can be confusing.

7. Default cali road trip feb 08

myself and my girlfriend are planning a two week road trip next february (2nd-15th) starting in San fran and going round north lake tahoe and mammouth before heading back to SF.

like a lot of people it seems, I'm a little confused as to the insurance side of things (whats covered, who to get it from etc), so glad i stumbled on this thread.

also any recommendations on hire companies would be good (looking closely at Alamo and Budget at the moment). We'll also be travelling with snowboards, so thinking a hatchback with fold down rear seats....4 door compact maybe? best to pick up from the airport or in town (we're staying in SF for a couple of days near the golden gate bridge).

cheers!

Mike

Default Rental Car Insurance -- some explanations

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    like a lot of people it seems, I'm a little confused as to the insurance side of things (whats covered, who to get it from etc),
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Here is a brief overview of the types of insurance you can expect to see quoted to you. Read the entire thread!
    also any recommendations on hire companies would be good (looking closely at Alamo and Budget at the moment).
    Alamo and Budget are both fine --- I prefer National Car Rental -- newer vehicles. You might check our rates as well.
    best to pick up from the airport or in town (we're staying in SF for a couple of days near the golden gate bridge).
    Picking up at a airport, usually includes a surcharge imposed by the airport, but the selection of cars is often much better than a local service. 50/50 I would say. Here is some information about those pesky surcharges.

Mark

9. Default car hire insurance.,..

Hey Everyone, was just reading through the thread about insurance. I have been enquiring about hiring a car also. The rental company has told me they charge $9 per day for collision damage waiver, and they have told me that since I do not have my own liability cover as I am coming from Australia I can use theres? Does this sound normal? They have also told me that even though I can use their liability cover I should bear in mind that their coverage is based on the state minimum requirement of $30,000 aggregate coverage. Which I have no idea what that means, was just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Default Know Before You Arrive

Be sure to recheck the posts above (and the links therein) that explain basic insurance terms and tell you whom to check with to see if you already have coverage. But basically liability insurance covers damage what you do to others. It does NOT cover damage you do to your own car (the rental) or to yourself. And in today's world of $50,000 cars and million dollar lawsuits over 'pain and suffering', $30,000 is next to nothing. 'Aggregate' means that $30,000 is the most you're covered for. There may be even lower limits on what can be paid out to any individual you injure or per car that you damage. Really, the people you should be talking to are your own agents in Australia (you do have insurance for driving there, don't you?) to see if your policy covers you while driving a rental in the U.S.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 02-19-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Typos