1. Default NYC to L.A in 4 weeks

hi,
    id just like to start by saying how amazing i think this website is (particularly the forum) and how grateful id be to receive any replies to this thread.

i visited New york from here in the UK in 2003 whilst working at a summer camp but didnt get to travel after due to breaking my leg at camp. i made it my personal goal to get back there ASAP.

so anyway, 2 and a half years in the planning (a lot of talking actually, but we're getting our act together now) and we're nearly booking our flights.
    ive got a couple of questions but heres our rough itinery.

me and a friend are gonna be flying out to NYC on june 14th 2008, looking to stay there until 17th when we would pick up hire car at JFK.

we want to see niagara falls so were hoping to make a detour there first of all before heading down to miami to catch a train on the 25th june.

now our route down to miami, our main point of interest is washington DC but other than that we're looking for any ideas, points of interest??

were 25 and 27, love music, interested in old70's 80's american themes, film locations etc. a bit cheesy but we want to make it a trip to remember by seeing a lot of your typical tourist spots.

we ARE looking to advance in good time so appreciate we wont see everything. hopefully we can spend 2-3 days around the orlando miami area.

from then weve got 2 more friends joining us from the uk for our train journey to chicago. it arrives morning of 27th june. we would spend the day and night in chicago...again any ideas for good nightspots there??

28th of june - we want to hire an rv to start our journey further west towards L.A. again our main point of interests are Las vegas (2 nights if poss) and the grand canyon.

so between chicago and vegas we are open to ideas from people although we would like to do it along as much of route 66 as is possible. (i understand some of it isnt accessible anymore.

when we get to los angeles, a day or 2 there would be appreciated after what looks a long drive.
    we fly back on 12th July so would really like to know if that 2nd leg, chicago to L.A is doable??

thankyou very much for reading, i do go on a bit.

just a couple more questions regarding the journey though.
    when we hire the car for the first 2 weeks ish, besides accident protection, do i need to purchase car insurance like i would in the uk?? or would that be included in the rental agreement?

and finally, taking an rv to L.A, how far can you actually get to the centre of LA and still be able to park it for the night somewhere?

again thanks for any advice.

Default That is quite an adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by wells182 View Post
    ...and we're nearly booking our flights.
    ive got a couple of questions but heres our rough trip.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum and thanks for the kudos.
    we want to see niagara falls so were hoping to make a detour there
    Here are some ideas for that leg of the trip.
    now our route down to miami, our main point of interest is washington DC but other than that we're looking for any ideas, points of interest??
    Lots of ideas here and in this book.
    were 25 and 27, love music, interested in old70's 80's american themes, film locations etc. a bit cheesy but we want to make it a trip to remember by seeing a lot of your typical tourist spots.
    You ought to seriously consider getting this book which we recently reviewed.
    28th of june - we want to hire an rv to start our journey
    Here are some resources for you:
    A brand new book about "How to Rent a RV"
    Our own overview of what to think about
    Print this article and take it with you.
    so between chicago and vegas we are open to ideas from people although we would like to do it along as much of route 66 as is possible.
    Here is a field report from RoadTrip Advisor Don who has driven all sections more than once. Plus, this site, is one of the best for pre-planning purposes. Other Route 66 resources can be seen here. I would certainly do the Sitgreaves Pass and a visit to Oatman and here is a very vivid report of what it is like to ride the mules into the Grand Canyon. One final point, Las Vegas in not on Route 66....
    when we get to los angeles, a day or 2 there would be appreciated after what looks a long drive.
    Here is one of the best overviews I have ever read for visiting LA by RoadTrip Advisor Larrison.
    just a couple more questions regarding the journey though.
    when we hire the car for the first 2 weeks ish, besides accident protection, do i need to purchase car insurance like i would in the uk?? or would that be included in the rental agreement?
    Here is an overview about the insurance issues
    and finally, taking an rv to L.A, how far can you actually get to the centre of LA and still be able to park it for the night somewhere?
    Unlike European cities -- there is no city centre in LA -- there is no place you can't drive a RV in LA. I like driving RVs in urban areas, but others like to park and use public transportation -- here are some ideas.

Hope this gets you started.

Mark

3. Default

hi mark, it'll certainly be an adventure :)
    thanks for the quick reply.
    you really gave me some great links there to set me on my way.
    really like the I95 book and the roadside attractions resources.

thats exactly the sort of thing we're looking to do, a bit of weird and wonderful.

i dont think your link came through though about insurance?? that is a major worry/confusion for me at the moment.

overall, i hope ive budgeted enough time to do those main points i included in the itinery.

also, where is monument valley? anywhere on our 'route'? and if so, is it worth visiting. i love some of the photos you can see of it.

again
    many thanks.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Movie locations, visual arts & music

love music, interested in old70's 80's american themes, film locations etc. a bit cheesy but we want to make it a trip to remember by seeing a lot of your typical tourist spots.
    To find movie locations, try this very cool website and check out this thread.

There are plenty of music museums in the States : The Liberace museum in Las Vegas, The American Jazz Museum in Kansas City, The Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, The Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale, MS, Graceland in Memphis, The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, The Scott Joplin House in St. Louis, The Rock & Soul Museum in Memphis, The Jerry Lee Lewis House in Ferriday, LA, The International Gospel Music Hall of Fame in Detroit, The American Classical Music Hall of Fame in Cincinnatti, The Bluegrass Museum in Owensburg, KY, The Motown Historical Museum in Detroit and also ther Smithsonian has a section on American Music. You can check out some other cool sites that are not necessarily museum but are music related and equally fun like the Walk of Fame in Hollywood or the smaller St. Louis one, Blueberry Hill Restaurant in St. Louis, the Grand Emporium or the Blue Room in Kansas City, The Green Mill in Chicago, The Village Vanguard in NYC, Nostalgiaville, MO, the French quarter in New Orleans, The Whisky-a-gogo in L.A., 18th Street & Vine Historical District in Kansas City, The Knitting Factory in NYC or L.A., B.B. King's Blues Club or the Mint in L.A. You might have guessed by now that I have a fancy for jazz music:-), although I like a lot of other genres too.

If you like the 70's and 80's period, you might want to check out the Panza Collection at MOCA which consists mostly of pop art and post minimalist artworks. Talking about pop art, if you go through Pittsburgh don't miss the Warhol Museum. Also, you mght want to check out the very quirky and funky City Museum which is an 90's project but could very well has been made in the 70's or 80's.

Gen