1. Default Los Angeles to Indianapolis 12/8/2008 to 11/9/2008

Hi All,

We are fairly new to this site and looking for some help. All things being equal we fly into LA 12.8/(Aug 12) 2008 from Brisbane, Australia. Obviously want to spend a few days there, doing the usual touristy things, before heading to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon. We then want to also see Chicago, Niagara Falls and New York city (not necessarily in that order) and end up in Indianapoli on 11/9/2008(Sept 11)

At present we are planning on driving from LA thru to Grand Canyon and Las Vegas but are wondering if we would be better off driving through to our other stops as well. This obviously would give us a real look at the US.

We need to be in indianapolis around 11/9 as we are heading to the Moto GP for the weekend 12/9 to 14/9. After Indianapolis we fly to San Francisco before heading off on a cruise back to Australia.

Firstly is this doable by car or are we better off just flying from L.V. through to Chicago or NY.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Robyn & Reg (rplusr)
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-15-2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Added "Americanized" dates - Month before the Day - for clarity

Keithville, LA

Default One Month Roadtrip

Greetings! Welcome to Roadtrip America.

I'm a little slow this morning. I was trying to figure out why you were leaving the US a month before you arrive. So dates are August 12 - September 14.

I think with careful planning you can reach all of your destinations. You won't have time to actually stop and explore each place for a day, but you can do a "drive by" and then continue on to your next destination. We normally recommend only driving 500 miles per day so use that to kind of plan your stops.

What you need to do is come up with a list of what you want to accomplish on this journey. Do you really want to see historic sites, natural wonders, the nightlife, etc? If we have further information about you we can help you with specifics more. I highly suggest using the search engine on this forum and typing in various places to see what comes up.

Ok - now to the Moto GP - I'm having a hard time not booking tickets to that thing. I got my invitation in the mail a few weeks ago. Trying to console me that the US Grand Prix won't be returning to Indy (I've gone three years in a row now). I don't really follow the motorcycle racing, but that hasn't stopped me from going to races before. I might have to ask you to sell me on this idea. :)

3. Default

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the help. I think that the road trip might be out of the question at least after Las Vegas as we really wanted to spend some time in each place and explore a little. I can see how driving all that distance would not give us anytime at all to enjoy it.

So I think we will drive from LA to the Grand Canyon - any ideas on a good route for this. Then after 2 or 3 days we will head to Las Vegas for a few days before flying to Buffalo via a stop in Chicago for a couple of nights and then finally to NY city. We had always planned to spend about a week in NY and from there we will head to Indianapolis for a few days and the MOTOGP. You can't miss this one Laura.

Reg will be even more excited to go to the MotoGP if it is the last one to be held in Indianapolis. He is a real motorbike fan and has been riding bikes for years now. He is very impressed with how our Aussie boys are going - especially Casey Stoner and Chris Vermulen. He has followed them through the ranks for sometime now and always said they would move into the 500cc group.

I think you would be missing an amazing experience by not going to the motogp this year. Just think if this is the last one then they will probably pull out all the stops to make sure it is a blast. (Well I would like to hope so).
    Sorry I confused you with the dates but we put our dates the day then month first. I can see how it would have looked though once I had another look at them. LOL.

If you have any ideas on the route we should take from LA to the Canyon and places to stay on the way that would be great.

Robyn & Reg