1. Default Avoiding Cities from Newport News, VA to New England

Hello, we are taking a road trip at the end of the month, starting in Pensacola FL and ending in New Hampshire. It is our annual pilgrimage to visit the folks, and this year, we have (gulp) opted to travel by car rather than plane. We haven't driven up in a couple of years. I need help determining the best route to take between Newport News, VA and either Mystic, CT, where we considered stopping to break up the drive, or Southern New Hampshire. Last time we drove we were stuck in horrible traffic around D.C. and New York City, and possibly, Hartford according to memory. So want to avoid this if at all possible. Would really like to have a pleasant, and less stressful, if possible, drive, even if it takes us longer. Any suggestions would be quite welcome and appreciated.

Default Avoiding the Traffic

We have a post with some details about how to avoid NYC here.

Hartford is usually bad during the weekdays, on the weekend it's not usually bad at all.

On your last trip, what was the route that you took? It sounds like you took I-95 for the most part, and if you went through Hartford, you went up I-91...unless you took I-84.

My vote is to do the following:
    Don't travel during rush hour, if you can help it - unless you are out away from the cities.

Travel up the parkways. The Merritt Parkway, the Taconic, just to name a couple.

Where are you heading to in New Hampshire? Towards the coastline, or up in the mountains?

Default The Southern Part

Tim has covered the northern reaches of your proposed trip. Here are some options for the southern part, between Newport News and New York. Your best option is to take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel across to the Delmarva Peninsula and follow US-13 north. Now you have a choice. You can either continue north, using DE-896/PA-896/PA-10/I-176/US-222 to get to the Allentown area and then follow I-78 toward NYC and the bypasses Tim referred to. Or you can head for Lewes, DE and take the ferry across to Cape May, NJ and then follow US-9/NJ-50/US-322/NJ-54/US-206 to near Trenton and head for New York on the NJ Turnpike. Depending on your navigational skills and the quality of your maps, there is also a 'back way' from Princeton to Somerville, but my brother used to claim that when I took him this route, we were driving over people's lawns. In any event with a decent map and a moderately competent navigator, you can find any number of alternatives to the major, traffic-clogged highways through the big cities.

AZBuck

4. Default Thanks

Thank you for the recommendations. I think we're going to take 81 from Richmond and pick up 84 at Scranton, that should get us out of most of the mess, I hope. Now trying to figure out a good stopping point for the night in between VA and NH (we are heading to Rochester, NH as our final destination). We could just pull off the interstate somewhere but it would be great to stop somewhere interesting. Any suggestions?

Default Have a Look At...

Halfway between Newport News and Rochester along your chosen route would put you in the Blue Mountains of east-central Pennsylvania, around Pottsville. While there are a few decent motels near the highway in that area such as the Country Inn at exit 119, you will have many more choices if you push on to the Scanton-Wilkes Barre area. It's not that much farther, and is still 'just' a 500 mile day. It also leaves you a shorter drive up to Rochester the next day allowing you to reach your destination earlier in the evening. If you really want something interesting, there are a large number of Bed & Breakfasts both in S/W-B and the nearby Poconos for around $100/night.Try a web search on {Bed Breakfast Scranton OR "Wilkes-Barre" Pennsylvania} and poke around a bit to find one that tickles your fancy.

AZBuck