1. Default SFO to Las Vegas Trip Planned but Help Needed

Hi folks. Having just found this amazing site, I need some help.
    I'm currently in SFO on day 10 of a long summer hol. We are booked in to a hotel in Yosemite for tomorrow (13th Aug) and then in Death Valley for 1 night on 16th heading for Las Vegas on 17th for 2 nights then to Grand Canyon South for 2 nights and back to LV for 3 nights before flying home.

I have a route that I see is typical for getting from SFO to Yosemite, (out on the bay, on to the I580 then to 205, then 120 into Yosemite but I don't know any nice places to stop at (if I can) or for that matter between Yosemite and LV.

Whilst visiting one of the sites in SFO today, we got talking to some locals who said it would be better for me to visit the Giant Seq trees in Fresno. Is this possible in my schedule that I have described above. If not, can anyone give me any pointers on main things to stop/see/visit and a rough route.

Sorry for the vague questions.

Regards

David.

Default Can't do both on your time schedule

Quote Originally Posted by frensham View Post
    I'm currently in SFO on day 10 of a long summer hol
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Local's ideas are often the way to go -- but you can't really do Sequoia and still keep on your schedule.
    We are booked in to a hotel in Yosemite for tomorrow (13th Aug) and then in Death Valley for 1 night on 16th heading for Las Vegas on 17th for 2 nights then to Grand Canyon South for 2 nights and back to LV for 3 nights before flying home.
    Whew! This makes me tired! OK, your time in each place will be short and you don't have any time to dawdle...

When you leave Yosemite -- take CA-120 over Tioga Pass down to US-395. From there, you have several choices -- but the only reasonable one is to zip down US-395 (as fast as you can... unfortunately) to Bishop for lunch. Schatz Bakery is a good bet and then back on the road.... to Lone Pine and then take CA-136 toward Death Valley. Stop at Panamint Springs for some ice tea -- marvel at the Redwood burl bar and look at the photos and then continue on up Emigrant Pass CA-190 to Death Valley -- are you staying at Furnace Creek Ranch?

From there it is a nice drive to Las Vegas.

Mark

3. Default It's possible.. but your choice is east or west of the Sierras

Hello frensham

With your schedule, it looks like you have 2-3 days to get from Yosemite to Death Valley.

The giant Sequoia Trees are mostly in Seqouia National Park, which is on the west side of the Sierra Nevada mountains, somewhat east of Fresno area. You can reach these trees and visit them, in about a half day's drive from Yosemite. There are a couple of hotels and campgrounds in Sequoia (and in King's Canyon, next door to Sequoia), and lots in Fresno and Bakersfield on south.

However, there aren't any passes east of out Sequoia/ Kings Canyon over the Sierras. To get to Death Valley, on the east side of the Sierras, you'd have to go around the southern end of the Sierras, heading east from Bakersfield California area, and then north east through Ridgecrest to Death Valley. It's a very doable drive in a day -- its not uncommon for someone to drive from Death Valley to Yosemite via this route in a day.

Your other option would be to go east over the Sierras via Tioga Pass, which is just north of Yosemite Valley. But that puts you on the east side of the Sierras, away from Sequoia National Park. (There is a grove of the large trees in Yosemite... ) Once on the east side of the Sierras, you can go south through Bishop and into Death Valley.

Either route works -- Tioga Pass is very scenic, and Sequoia has some amazing trees and additional Sierra scenery. So your choice is either the west side of the Sierras (through Sequoia), or over the Sierras at Tioga Pass, and down the east side of the Sierras.

Default As per Mark...

As Mark says, you've got a lot to do there already and personally I would be keen not to get too distracted by additional stops such as Sequoia and Kings Canyon. Yosemite is as fantastic as the drive to, and through, Death Valley and was one of the real highlights of my trip last year. Having done that route (CA-120/US-395) I now know that I am so grateful I did.

5. Default Thanks

guys

Thank you very much. We are all clear now. I've decided to skip the Giant Seq Trees.
    Mark, yep I am staying at Furnace Creek Ranch.

Once again, thank you for the pointers.

David

Default Glad we could help

Have a fantastic time, David. If you get some time to bring us up to date on your trip, we always welcome that. Check out the 'RoadTrip Field Reports' forum!