Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Thanks for all the help!

Just wanted to let everyone know my brother and I have started our journey and we are currently in Moab, UT. We didn't get out of Phoenix until 8/5, but since then have had a great time camping for 2 nights at the Blue Ridge Reservoir in AZ, camping for one night at Homolovi State park, a day trip to Canyon De Chelley and two nights at the Needles campground in Canyonlands, UT. Talk to you soon!

[Editor's Note: You can read the planning phase of this trip here.]
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-11-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Default Adventure has launched

Quote Originally Posted by scott5678 View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know my brother and I have started our journey
    We look forward to hearing from you as your adventure unfolds!

Have fun!

Mark

Default Fantastic!

Can't wait to read your updates as you progress along your route. Please keep us up to date here and post up photos as you go if possible -- we like photos!

Have a great time!

4. Default I just realized the thread was moved...

Hey everyone - just wanted to let you know that the trip has been great so far! Some of the highlights have been seeing Canyon De Chelley, hiking at Needles/Canyonlands, UT, the beautiful views at Bryce as well as some great photos of a pronghorned antelope, hiking the narrows at Zion, Yosemite and Sequoia. There is just too much to write about right now, but I will try and post updates as often as possible. I was curious if I am able to post a link to our website which chronicles our journey. If not, I understand but it takes a lot of our time keeping that updated and I would have a difficult posting here frequently as well. Mark, if you would like me to email you our web address to check out please let me know. Hope all is going well for everyone and we are currently working in Vegas for a week or so for a friend to help make some extra cash. Talk to you later.

Scott

Default Policy herein

I was curious if I am able to post a link to our website which chronicles our journey. If not, I understand but it takes a lot of our time keeping that updated and I would have a difficult posting here frequently as well.
    Scott, it is entirely up to you. You can certainly make a link to your website, but if you want any responses to any questions you may post about your trip -- you will have to come back here and see them. Our interest is creating an environment where discussions about road trips can flourish within the context of this RTA site, but we are not in the business of promoting private web sites.

Best of adventures to you and your brother.

Mark

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Scott, it is entirely up to you. You can certainly make a link to your website, but if you want any responses to any questions you may post about your trip -- you will have to come back here and see them. Our interest is creating an environment where discussions about road trips can flourish within the context of this RTA site, but we are not in the business of promoting private web sites.

Best of adventures to you and your brother.

Mark
    Thanks Mark - I look forward to maintaining consistent updates here of our trip and am thankful for what a great resource you have made for all of us. One of the little things that I did not know about prior to finding your site was the "Standing on the Corner" corner in Winslow, AZ and made sure to stop there for some pictures on the way out of Phoenix. We are very amateur photographers at this point, but hope to improve. Enjoy the pics! Here is the website.

Thanks,

Scott
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-26-2007 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein

Default Nice Website format!

We are very amateur photographers at this point,
    Scott, nice photos of Bryce! I like the look and format of your web site as well. Some of the photos are not loading on the deeper pages, but still a very nice journal is underway.

Mark

8. Default Thanks Mark!

Bryce was realy cool and the highlight was seeing the pronghorned antelope that you see in some of the last pictures of Bryce. That is strange about some of them not loading, as they all seem to load fine off my computer. Any ideas what could cause this??? We are also getting quite a bit of video, including the antelope that we are hoping to get online soon but are still working on mastering our video editing software.

Thanks,

Scott

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

We had fits and starts when loading pix on our trip too.
    The Flip video really took us for a ride. So much for easy.
    We chalk it up to computer phenomenom.

Sometimes re-naming the pix & trying again seemed to make the uploading process more cooperative.
    Right click the pic and usually the re-name option will appear if their isn't an re-name option to click on already.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-31-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: navigation for clarity

10. Default

Sorry I haven't been back sooner to update our trip, but in can be difficult managing your time even when you don't have a job and are just travelling! Thanks for the tips Ross and Alice! As far as I can tell we have not been having anymore problems with pictures loading but let me know if anyone notices anything. We have had a great few weeks and are now in Northern Washington enjoying the rain as much as possible. It can be little difficult dealing with the rain, especially camping but we are making the best of it. Anyone have any good tips to stay as dry and mud free as possible? At our next stop, somewhere in the Colville National forest we are planning on trying to place our tent between 2 trees and tying a rope between them to place a tarp over and then stake our tent under the tarp. We have a pretty good tent/fly but we are hoping the tarp will help deflect some of the rain.

Anyway, we spent 2 weeks in Alaska and had an incredible time. Our first few nights were spent camping in Denali at the Teklanika campground, which is the furthest you can drive your car into the park, to go further you can take one of the many busses. On our first full day we took a bus to Wonder lake for a perfect view of Mt. McKinley on our only cloudless day while in Alaska. The view was breathtaking and we heard from people who had been there several times before that they had never seen such a perfect view of our continent's highest peak. We also had a great animal viewing day seeing 16 grizzly bears, 6 moose, 3 dahl sheep, 3 caribou, a fox and a beaver. The day was perfectly capped off when we got back to our campsite and took a little hike around the area. As we were making our way through the trees and over the streams, all of sudden we looked up and not more than 5 feet away from us sitting under a pine tree were 2 lynx. We couldn't believe we hadn't scared them off and we later talked to park ranger who had also seen them that day and said they were the first 2 he had seen in the 2 years he was at Denali.

After leaving Denali we went about an hour north east of Fairbanks to the North Fork Chena River forest service cabin. If you are planning on going to Alaska I would highly recomend using their forest serice cabins! The North Fork cabin was awesome and we had a great time. There is no electricity or running water but the cabin come equipped with a great wood burning stove and a river for water. The cabin measured 20'x24' and had enough bunks to sleep 8 people. It was quite an experience and I can't wait to go back some day.

After leaving the North Fork cabin we headed of to the Fielding lake cabin that at 12'x14' was a little smaller, but equally as nice. We were treated to moose taking an evening dip in the river outside the cabin each night and on the last night at about midnight we finaly saw what we had been waiting 2 weeks for - THE NORTHERN LIGHTS! By that time, because of the weather we had pretty much given up on seing them, but decided since it was our last night we had stay up just in case. Sure enough, about 11:30pm the clouds broke up and by midnight streaks of emerald bands of light were dancing through the skies. It was incredible!

Well, have to get going for now, but we do have our Denali pics up on the website if anyone wants to take a look. Talk to you soon!

Scott