1. Default Monterey-Las Vegas-Highway 1 trip

hi, myself & my husband are flying to san francisco on 18th nov. & spending a couple of days in Monterey but on the 20th we will be staying in los banos & intend being in yosemite national park on the 21st & we have to be in las vegas on the 28th nov. Does anyone have any suggestions for a route or places to see that we could fit into this timeframe. we will be staying in las vegas until the 1st dec when we hope to go to san diego then up the coast to monterey.we have to be back in monterey late on the 4th dec. Any suggestions welcome. I would definitely like to go through death Valley, the grand canyon & at least 1 national park in Utah but don't know if this is feasable. Also I know there is a road through Yosemite that may be closed & would mean a long Detour through Fresno(is there an alternative to this). We have hired a 4wd for this trip that will hopefully make things easier for us.

Default Rental 4-WD (pavement only)

Quote Originally Posted by nerak View Post
    We have hired a 4wd for this trip that will hopefully make things easier for us.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- Unfortunately, when you look at the fine print on the rental contract you will probably notice the reference to unpaved roads.... It is a violation of the terms of your rental agreement to drive your rental vehicle off-pavement -- which effectively means that it is extremely unlikely that you will ever had the opportunity to use the 4-WD (...unless you choose to ignore that clause...)
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a route or places to see that we could fit into this timeframe.
    Here are several such routes.
    Also I know there is a road through Yosemite that may be closed & would mean a long Detour through Fresno(is there an alternative to this).
    CA-120 is the route that includes Tioga Pass and yes there is a good chance it will be closed when you visit. Here is our best guestimate as to when this closure will happen this year.

Las Vegas is a great place to use as a hub to reach some of the national parks in Arizona and Utah. Here is one such field report. And here are some ideas about San Diego:
    Las Vegas to San Diego
    Gen's picks for doing in San Diego

Happy Planning!

Mark

Default Plan Ahead and Be Prepared

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The only segment where you have significant time to play with is the stretch between Yosemite on the 21st of Nov. and Las Vegas on the 28th. In that week you could take a day or two (or more) to really explore Yosemite, and some of the other great parks in western California and southern Utah including Death Valley, Zion, and Bryce Canyon, as well as get to the Grand Canyon. Only you can decide how best to allocate your time among those sites, and how much might be too much for you. But a week is certainly enough to allow you to get to many, but not all, of them. If Tioga Pass closes, no 4WD will help you get through, and you will have to take the long way around through Fresno/Bakersfield/Barstow. That's just the way it is. Tioga has been closing relatively late in recent years, but even so, I'd say that your chances of it still being open that late in November are less than 50/50, so you should plan on going around the Sierra Nevada Mountains rather than over them. Part of that planning would be to decide beforehand which parks may have to be dropped from your itinerary to allow for the extra travel time.

AZBuck

4. Default please more help would be much appreciated

We are travelling from Ireland & although I have a US map it is quite difficult to use as each state is on different pages & although I can try & use a route planner without actual addresses it is not very accurate .
    Quote Originally Posted by nerak View Post
    yosemite national park on the 21st Nov & we have to be in las vegas on the 28th nov. Does anyone have any suggestions for a route or places to see that we could fit into this timeframe..
    I would like to fit in Yosemite, Death Valley, Zion, Bryce Canyon, the East rim of the grand canyon(as would like to go on the sky walk) but I am not to sure of the mileages involved & if its feasible. we will be staying in las vegas until the 1st dec but while here won't really be able to go anywhere as my husband is into motorbikes & is doing the 2 day freddie spencer school. Also does anyone know of any good hotels near any of our destinations