Default Oregon to Cleveland advice needed

Hi. I was just searching the internet for advice on long driving trips and found this site. We're planning to drive from Grants Pass, Oregon to Cleveland, Ohio in mid-October. We'll have 2 or 3 drivers. None of us is particularly experienced with driving this far of a distance. I saw some advice that 500-600 miles per day was recommended, but wasn't sure if that would apply to back to back days for 2600 miles.

Also, any suggestions for places to stop along the way (food oriented especially) would be greatly appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Pacing, and Finding Good Food on the Road

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

That recommendation of 500-600 miles a day is for driving as many back-to-back days as you'd like. While it does allow some time out of the car for rest and sanity breaks, it does not leave any real time for sight-seeing or long treks down scenic by-ways. So, you can comfortably make the drive to Cleveland in 5 days, or even 4 days if you pushed it.

As far as places to eat, the best advice I can give you is to spend the little extra time it takes to leave the Interstate and the plastic, cookie-cutter restaurants at its exits, and head into one of the many small cities you'll be passing. I generally find that towns of 5,000 to 10,000 suffice. Check in at the local information bureau or tourist center and ask what's good. The key, I've found, is to be as specific as you can about what it is you want, and to ask the attendant where THEY'd go. I've rarely been steered wrong by doing this.

3. Default

Is your goal to get to Cleveland or to see sights? I just arrived yesterday in Ohio (Cleveland area) from Seattle. We took six days, averaging 400 or so miles a day. We have kids, so we couldn't push as hard as 500-600. We stopped in ID, MT, SD, IA, IN and then OH. We actually didn't eat many restaurant meals, mostly to save time and money. I did hear of a good Greek place in Billings: It's in Billings. The Athenian, but we didn't have a chance to go there.

We stopped for: Devil's tower, the Little Bighorn battlefield, Mt. Rushmore, Wall Drug, the Corn Palace (don't bother), and that's about it.

AAA has a tool to plan your route, but if you use it, double check what it recommends--it sent us on a small slow road instead of the interstate and we wasted a couple of hours driving 45 instead of 75!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 08-08-2007 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Preferred link format