1. Default Las Vegas to Kansas City (9/6/07 to 9/9/07) suggestions

Need some advice on what route to take, what to see, where to stay (somewhat inexpensively), etc.

My wife & I plan on setting out early on 9/6/07. I'm moving back home for a job transfer (to KC) and this is the primary reason on the trip. However we thought we'd make a mini-vacation out of it. We have some ideas, but wanted to get some recommendations on everything.

Driving out to Vegas, our mission was just to make it there quickly. We drove all interstate from KC to Colorado Springs in 8 hours. The next day we drove the rest of the way from Colorado Springs to Vegas in 15 hours, only stopping for gas and food, not paying attention to any attractions. So now coming home, we don't want to rush and stop by to see some of the sites. Now driving thru southeastern Utah, on I-70 is desolate. Great scenery, but very nerve-racking to me. After Grand Junction, Colorado, there is absolutely NOTHING. No gas stations, no restaurants, no towns, no nothing...couldn't even get a cell phone signal for 120 miles, until basically we hit Salinas, UT. Thank God we filled up our gas tank outside of Grand Junction...when we hit Salinas, we were well below 1/4 of a tank. The only other town we saw was something like Green River, UT, (or maybe Green Valley, UT?). I don't want to really have that experience again...the whole time I was nervous we'd get a flat tire, the car would break down, etc...and literally for an hour, I did not spot one car as far as I could see...not even in the opposing highway lane. I felt very isolated... So I really don't want to go thru that again. I saw that great scenery, and really don't want to see or need to see it again.

My wife has mentioned that she never has really seen the Grand Canyon (only really from an airplane), so we thought that would be our first stop. After that, we don't know what would be worthwhile. I had thought about stopping by to see the Meteor Crater in Arizona, then making our way to Santa Fe, NM (no idea what to do there)...then onto Amarillo to see the Cadillac Ranch, then to Ok City (for the Oklahoma City National Memorial), then on to home... Another options I had thought about is from the Grand Canyon heading up to the Four Corners Monument, then up to see the Aztec Ruins and Cliff Palace, then over to the Royal Gorge...then up back thru Denver and stopping by McCook, NE, to see some relatives. Yet another option I had thought about is going from Vegas to Salt Lake City, then thru Wyoming, detouring up to see the Devil's Tower, then maybe up to see Mt Rushmore, then back down to home.

My wife & I don't have any kids, and we both love traveling. We like to think we fly by the seat of our pants... We are both fairly young (she's 29 & I'm 31), so antique shopping does nothing for us. We've always had an idea to take a Route 66 trip, but would be strange to do that backwards (west to east). Not too picky in what we see...and I think that's our problem...our indecisiveness... Fancy hotels aren't really for us, as it is just a place to sleep. We both claim that we love road trips... So just looking for some suggestions on what to do. We both love history, but don't want to be stuck w/ a bunch of 4th graders on their school field trip. We are just looking for places to say we've been there/done that...great photo ops...experience a piece of history (whether ancient, not-so-ancient, or modern history doesn't matter)....see some interesting sites... So any ideas on what is a good route, great sights to see, and places to stay and eat would be a huge help! Thanks in advance!

Default go with it

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Having only 4 days to work with, you're really not going to have a ton of time to work with. You certainly will be able to do some sightseeing, but if you want to keep this at a more reasonable pace than your trip west, you will have to pick and choose your stopping points.

I'd say your first idea of visiting the grand canyon, and then working your way back along I-40 would make the most sense considering the time you have. There is plenty to do, including the attractions you've already listed, plus it follows the path of Route 66, so you could get nice little sample of the towns that made the road famous, even if it is west to east.

Your diagonal option through Colorado would be a second choice, but I don't think it will leave you much time for a detour up to Nebraska. Wyoming and South Dakota would require a pace that wouldn't give you any time to sightsee, so I wouldn't even bother with them with this timeline.

Default Different Strokes

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1211 View Post
    Now driving thru southeastern Utah, on I-70 is desolate. Great scenery, but very nerve-racking to me. After Grand Junction, Colorado, there is absolutely NOTHING. No gas stations, no restaurants, no towns, no nothing...couldn't even get a cell phone signal for 120 miles, until basically we hit Salinas, UT. Thank God we filled up our gas tank outside of Grand Junction...when we hit Salinas, we were well below 1/4 of a tank. The only other town we saw was something like Green River, UT,
    Just goes to show the differences -- that stretch of road between Green River, Utah and the I-15 is probably one of my top five favorite roads in all of the Americas. You also missed one of the finest hamburgers in the western states. For a quick overview of some of what you missed....

Article about the viewpoints and Green River
    Article about some of what is just out of view from the Interstate.

Mark

Default oklahoma stops....

Going through Oklahoma on I-40...

You could make a stop in Clinton, OK for the Route 66 museum.
    It is not far off of the highway and wouldn't deter you too much...the website will tell you exactly which exit to take. =)

There is also the Cherokee Trading Post right off the highway as you get closer to OKC.

And while you're in Oklahoma City at the Memorial I would suggest driving just east of downtown and venturing into Bricktown...just under the railroad tracks. Lots of places to eat or just a nice drive through it and it you will end up right back at the highway! Have fun!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-10-2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format herein

5. Default Thanks...and other recommendations??

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think my wife & I have decided to take more of a Route 66 venture, altho in reverse (west to east). I've seen from other forums geared to Rte 66 that this is the "wrong" way to see Rte 66. I've always wanted to travel this, and I know I-40 mirrors the old highway. Anyone have any suggestions if you've traveled this way before? I think we want to experience the whole 1940's & 1950's "Americana" type travel.

My wife said that, for her, the Grand Canyon is a must. So that's our first stop from Las Vegas. She mentioned about going out on the new Skywalk above the Grand Canyon. But, it's pretty pricey, and don't know if it's worth it or not? The least expensive package to buy is $81.20 (tax included). Has anyone done this yet, and if so, is it worth the money?

Also, we were thinking about driving back down to meet up w/ Rte 66, taking the scenic route through the Painted Desert... Also thinking about making a pit stop, if all but briefly in Sedona, AZ. Any suggestions on must-sees?

She also mentioned she'd like to see Santa Fe, NM. Have no idea what to do there, so that's open for suggestions as well...

Also any recommendations on that slice of Americana on the route from Winslow to Oklahoma City?? The oddities and rareties of the Mother Road??

Thanks again in advance...

Default Mother Road

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1211 View Post
    Also any recommendations on that slice of Americana on the route from Winslow to Oklahoma City?? The oddities and rareties of the Mother Road??
    Route 66 has never really held much of a fascination for me, but I am not the norm and there is still plenty to find and enjoy on the route. Here are some really good resources for you:

RoadTrip Advisor RoadDog's tale of the entire route
    Guy Randall's virtual traveler site with tips and suggestions
    RTA's Route 66 resource page.

Mark