Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Southern California to Toronto in Winter

Hi! I'm starting school on January 7th in Toronto moving from So. Cal. I would be fine to just fly there a week before and start at school then, however, I have my car that I need to move with me.. That being said, I've never driven in the snow because we don't get much snow in Long Beach, CA. What would possibly be the safest and best route to get from Long Beach California to Toronto, Ontario, Canada... More than likely I'll have my boyfriend fly out from Toronto and drive with me about the 2nd week of December. If anyone has ANY suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much in advance!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America forum! I am not really one to offer advice on that route as I've not yet spent any time in the US during the winter, but I am sure someone will be along with some advice for you soon. Whilst you wait, you might want to read this page with tips for safer winter driving.

3. Default

Thanks so much!! I was searching for help and then I found this site and I was amazed at how helpful it is!! Hopefully someone will come along. I know I have some time still before I have to make my trip so I'm not too worried just yet.

Default There's almost too much information!

One of the problems with this site is that there is so much information it can sometimes be hard to find it! There is a search facility to the left of the page which is pretty good, though. It found this link: Route for Toronto to LA in winter? which should hopefully be a good place to start. Hope this helps.

Default From Illinois to Toronto

I would suggest you take HWY 90/94 then HWY 94 to Toronto via Detroit crossing the border to Canada at Windsor, the road is pretty well maintained during the winter, therefore, no special equipment needed. Once crossing into Canada, make sure to check your gas tank often because gas stations and travel oasis (as called in Canada) are wider spaced than in the U. S., oh, and mind your speed limit, some signs are posted in kilometers, not always in miles as in the U. S. (100 Km = 60 Miles). Drive safe!

6. Default Thanks

That actually is a start. I'm going to look into chains. Originally I had MapQuested the trip out and it said to go through Denver and just basically diagonally across. Or I could go all the way east and then go north. But that is almost double the miles and time. =/

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by corolovr View Post
    I would suggest you take HWY 90/94 then HWY 94 to Toronto via Detroit crossing the border to Canada at Windsor, the road is pretty well maintained during the winter, therefore, no special equipment needed. Once crossing into Canada, make sure to check your gas tank often because gas stations and travel oasis (as called in Canada) are wider spaced than in the U. S., oh, and mind your speed limit, some signs are posted in kilometers, not always in miles as in the U. S. (100 Km = 60 Miles). Drive safe!

Haha! I know that speed limit stuff. I've slightly learned Km and Celsius! SOOOO confusing to a little American taught only miles and Fahrenheit!

Default Metric

I'll let you into a little secret... I can't stand the metric system either. And I'm European :s Stick with imperial, I say!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    I'll let you into a little secret... I can't stand the metric system either. And I'm European :s Stick with imperial, I say!
    Here here!!!

Default Routes

I think the route I would take for this trip would be I-40 to I-44 to St. Louis, I-70 to Indy, and the I-69 to the Canadian border at Sarnia, north of Toronto.

Of course, being winter, there is the chance of snow and bad weather on any route, so if the forecast looks poor along I-40, then I would change and take either I-15 to either I-70 or I-80 as the main route east.