1. Default Crossing the Rockies in Winter?

Im looking to do a roadtrip this January in my 2wd Honda. Im wondering how "passable" the Rockies are in the winter, if major highways stay drivable for any vehicle or if it stays slick through the winter months?

Anyone have any suggestions for a good route in the rockies in the winter? Im looking to drive through Denver to see it then anywhere else I'm able to drive that involves going through the Rockies.

Thanks

Default This is not Siberia

Quote Originally Posted by NickF829 View Post
    I am wondering how "passable" the Rockies are in the winter, if major highways stay drivable for any vehicle or if it stays slick through the winter months?
    Thousands of vehicles cross the Rockies every single day on I-70 during every month of the winter season. Yes, sometimes snowstorms will close the road for a few hours, but they always re-open. Much of the time, the road is dry and clear. Any road that is open is safe to drive in the winter. Just follow these suggestions.

Mark

3. Default

i figured it wouldnt be to bad, i guess ill give it a shot and if the weather is decent, get off the main roads and take the backroads through the mountains. is i-70 scenic at all? i know its a major interstate but id like to see some decent scenery as well

Default Scenic 70

Hi,

I-70 can be very scenic. It crosses two fairly high pases, goes right by 3 or 4 ski areas and follows some dramatic valleys as it crosses the state. If the weather gets bad enough to close I-70 you don't want to be on any of the alternative roads (not that there are many) because they will be worse.

If the northern part of the state is stormy, you can head down to Colorado Springs and go west from there. Those roads are well maintained as well with lots to see. Most of the passes are kept open and quite clear.

In addition to the excellent advice under the link Mark provided I'd suggest a weather radio. They are cheap and very useful for keeping an ear on current weather conditions. The only caveat is that they don't pick up the broadcast in some mountainous or remote terrain. Also, If you have a very lightweight, rear-wheel drive car you might want to drop a hundred pounds or more of sand bags in the trunk.

Final word, try to go with the flow and not push too hard in snowy weather. It is easy to loose control.

Have fun in the white stuff,

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years