1. Default Vancouver B.C. to Oregon Coast

Hi We're going to Portland first then heading to Nehalem Bay(North of Tillamook) for a few days of camping. We've done this drive before via the I-5 but this time we wanted to vary the route a bit.

I also just heard there will be major construction on a section of the I-5 in Seattle so we're thinking to avoid Seattle as much as possible. I was reading on this forum about going via Mt. Vernon/Whidbey Island/Port Townsend then down the Peninsula. I'm just wonderinf if we should do this route on the way down when we have more time or if it's possible or preferable to do it on the return trip when we have to be home by that night. We have two small children so I'm not sure how much this will slow us down and if there will be much of interest for them to see. Any other route suggestions that would be interesting but not too too slow.

I'm also hoping to visit Astoria sometime on the trip and Camp 18 was recommended to me. Any feedback and suggestions on these sites and experiences would be appreciated!

Default Do it in the daylight!

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    I was reading on this forum about going via Mt. Vernon/Whidbey Island/Port Townsend then down the Peninsula. I'm just wonderinf if we should do this route on the way down when we have more time
    Yes, it is a very scenic route and riding the ferry during daylight hours is certainly more fun than at night when you are rushing to get home. WA-20 is a pretty road -- not very fast to travel on, but a nice alternative to the congestion of I-5. You could proceed south on US-101 and travel along the Hood Canal or jut back to the east on WA-104 and pick-up the parkway (4-lane highway-- WA-3) which would tie back into I-5 at Tacoma.
    I'm also hoping to visit Astoria sometime on the trip and Camp 18
    What I would really suggest is that you read this entire thread -- especially the various posts by Moderator Judy -- she is an expert in this part of Washington and I think you will find all sort of fun places to explore and enjoy.

3. Default Reversing it!

Hey! I'm doing a drive from Portland to Vancouver in the beginning of September, so thanks for posting, maybe we'll use that route you're taking, but in reverse!

4. Default

Thanks Editor! I have read quite a few threads via search but hadn't stumbled on that one. I'll take note of what's applicable. I think we'll come home via Astoria then take a faster route home though the I-5 through Seattle is still a problem...405 is an option.

We can take two days down to Portland so we are also considering staying somewhere in Washington so we can take the kids to see Mt. St. Helens Monument. From what I can tell it looks like MSH is about 1 hour off the I5, do you think 1 hour there is enough time (3 hour total)?
    We are leaving home Sunday about 6am (we hope) and we are going to take Chuckanut drive en route to Port Townsend, spend a bit of time in Port Townsend so I guess we could stay anywhere between there and Olympia.Any suggestions on where to stay in WA? (something clean,kid friendly and reasonable)

If we can get to Portland on Monday evening that'll still give us Tuesday in Portland and we can take our time to Nehalem on Weds to our campsite.