1. Default maine to florida

Hi,

I'm leaving Saturday to drive from southern Maine to central Florida. I'm taking my nephew home after his summer here in Maine so I'll have a 10 year old boy with me on the way down. I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions for particular things to stop and see or scenic/interesting routes.

Thanks!

Default Should be a fun trip!

Quote Originally Posted by somechick View Post
    I'm leaving Saturday to drive from southern Maine to central Florida.
    How long a trip will you have? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I can think of enough stops and attractions that it could easily take 2-3 months to make the trip.... But, how much time do you really have?

Mark

3. Default

oops, can't believe i forgot to mention a time frame. we've really only got 4 days so i'm obviously not looking for big stuff like a city to check out or anything like that. i'm thinking more along the lines of places to stop along the way for a little break.

Default A few fun stops

Quote Originally Posted by somechick View Post
    oops, can't believe i forgot to mention a time frame.
    No problem. Four days to drive ~ 1550 miles is a very reasonable task. Should allow about 7-8 hours per day on the road.

It can be a little challenging to stop and see the cool stuff in August, because of the summer tourists, but....thinking about a ten-year old -- I don't know if your are planning to cut inland or follow I-95 -- but one possible stop would be see the intricate scale models at Roadside America in Shartlesville, PA (it takes about an hour to see of the displays).

But sticking with the coast route -- you might consider a stop at the Mystic Seaport in Connecticut -- you can go onboard a historic wooden whaling ship. A little farther down the coast you can go aboard the USS New Jersey.

Every kid (of any age) should stop at least one at South of the Border in North Carolina!

Do any of these appeal?

Mark

5. Default

they all sound like good ideas. i'm thinking the coastal route will be more fun that 95. I'll probably take that on my way back solo. South of the Border is a definite - I want to see if it is as cool as I thought when I was a kid. I loved the billboards. Geez, if we go through Mystic we'll have to stop for pizza!

Default Roadside America

This is one of my favourite sites and one that I can't help but continue to recommend to people. Hope it comes up trumps for you!