1. Default Los Angeles - Miami

Hi All,

A friend and I are planning to go Coast to Coast in May next year. We have plans to rent a car and just drive....

Is there anything that we must do, you know those things that when you get back people say you should have done that... We did a trip this year to LA - Lake Havasu - the Canyon - Vegas - Death Valley - June Lake - San Fran - Highway 1 which was amazing.. We are not going back to these destinations as we want something new.

We have a timescale of 2 weeks, one way. Really looking forward to it.

Si.

Default The Big (Pick a Number)

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You could almost literally pick any number of 'must see' things along I-10, but if I had to make sure that no one said to me when I got done: "You drove all that way and didn't see X!?", then I'd make sure that I stopped at White Sands National Monument, the Alamo in San Antonio, Johnson Space Center in Houston (to see the world's only remaining Saturn V rocket), New Orleans, and Cape Canaveral. While I was at it, I'd also stop at a few lesser known locations, so I could answer back: "What, you didn't know about Y!?". These would include Kartchner Caverns outside Benson, AZ for the unique experience of a living cave, and St. Augustine, FL to visit America's oldest city, more than 40 years older than Jamestown.

AZBuck

Default Lots more to explore on that route!

Quote Originally Posted by simontobias View Post
    A friend and I are planning to go Coast to Coast in May next year. We have plans to rent a car and just drive....
    Sounds pretty cool to me. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We are not going back to these destinations as we want something new.
    OK, here are some ideas in slightly random order...Sunset atop the highest dune at Kelso Dunes...Oatman and Route 66..Jerome, Arizona, Saguaro National Park... Tombstone...White Sands NM... Carlsbad NP...Big Bend NP -- be sure to eat at the Starlight Theater in Terlingua! We have some new contributing writers who will be sharing tips and ideas about Texas starting next week....New Orleans... Shack-up Inn... Southern states ideas.... Savannah and then south...

Mark

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the site. Sounds like there's a huge potential for a fantastic trip there! Where are you coming from and what interests you? What a Brit wants to see/do will vary significantly from an Aussie and again from a native of the US.

If you're from overseas, you might like to take in a ball game somewhere along the route - LA, Anaheim, San Diego, Dallas, Houston, Tampa and Miami all have MLB teams - I find them great fun and somehow get you 'into' the whole deal of being away from home.

5. Default

Hey Guys!

Simon found your thread in google quite by chance!!! Yep Simon and I and perhaps a few others are planning our second road trip in America - coast to coast! Once again as big Mustang fans we have rented ourselves a fantastic car!!!

We have now booked flights and arrive in Miami on March 7th and leave LA on the 23rd (night flight) We have a lot of ground to cover and not quite sure what to expect in our little drive between Miami and LA....

We clearly want to stop at all the major places, in Florida and onwards New Orleans, Houston, Galveston, Dallas, Oaklahoma etc etc etc but its the little secrets which are always the classics so PLEASE everyone out there flood this thread with top tips, secret places and as much as possible to we can experience the true american road trip!

Hope to hear from you,

Luke

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    Where are you coming from and what interests you?

If you're from overseas, you might like to take in a ball game somewhere along the route.
    Hi there - we are coming from London UK, What interests us? A true American road trip taking in the big cities and vast open desserts... From Hollywood to Native Americans from the biggest cities to the smallest ghost towns we just love the whole idea of seeing the US - road trip style... Waking up and never knowing whats next, where we're going to sleep or what we're going to see!! The pure adventure!!!

A ball game along the way would be great fun!!!

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Along I-10

Hi Simon,
    Here's a post with a lot of attractions along the southern route. If you like mexican-Santa-Fe-style towns, stop by La Mesilla next to Las Cruces. Faywood Hot Springs is a nice place to stop en route between Silver City and Deming.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    and St. Augustine, FL to visit America's oldest city,
    Not quite accurate (oldest city in North America being St. John's (1497)), but I agree St. Augustine is a nice place to visit. Like Buck suggested, White Sands and Ft. Alamo are definitely must sees if you stick to the southern route.

Have a nice trip!
    Gen

Default Touché

Let's be precise here: St. John's, Newfoundland is, as Gen correctly points out, North America's oldest European founded city, established in 1497, while St. Augustine is the United States of America's oldest European founded city, founded in 1565. Oddly enough, Québec City also claims the title of America's oldest city even though it did not get its start until 1608. Québec possibly bases their claim on a more stringent definition of the term 'city'. None of them hold a candle to the age of the Native American's cities such as Mesa Verde (ca. 600) or Mexico City, continuously occupied since ca. 1325.

AZBuck