1. Default 4 Corners road trip advice

Greetings! I am planning a week in early November for a road trip with a few family members. I will start in Albuquerque after a business meeting, rent a car, and plan to fly out of Las Vegas or another location in the area after about 1 week of simply driving around. I would like to visit the painted dessert, monument valley, perhaps the Mesa verde area, and HWY 12 in Utah. I have studied maps, etc. but want some advice about estimated travel times, scenic roads, etc. Is this area too large to cover in a week? Any advice??
    Last edited by Mustanger; 08-05-2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Weather will be a factor

Quote Originally Posted by Mustanger View Post
    I am planning a week in early November for a road trip with a few family members.
    This will be an ideal time for photography in the region -- the light will have mellowed and the crowds will be gone. Weather -- low temps and even some snow flurries will be a factor. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! It will be very tight to go to all of those places in a week, but you might find these two field reports helpful as a place to start choosing. The first by Bob Schaller about Hwy 12 and then this page by Gerald Thurman which is an index to some of his western roadtrips.

Mark

3. Default N Arizona and S Utah is the plan

Thanks.....The info from this site is a great help in planning my trip. GREAT RESOURCE!! I have narrowed the location a bit to Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. I understand about the weather being chilly / possible snow flurries. What about things being closed? I have noticed many places only operate until the end of Oct. Also.....Any suggested books / travel guides / web sites?

Default San Rafael Swell

Quote Originally Posted by Mustanger View Post
    I have narrowed the location a bit to Northern Arizona and Southern Utah.
    If you can get up as far as the San Rafael Swell -- you are in for a treat. Here are a couple of pages of information about this favorite area of mine. Views from the highway and a short day-romp off-highway.
    I understand about the weather being chilly / possible snow flurries. What about things being closed?
    The north rim of the Grand and Cedar Breaks might be closed by then -- here is another field report from this area and points north.

I am hoping Gerald Thurman will jump on here -- he has explored this area quite a bit.

Mark

Default Momument Valley

In '97 my wife and I spent a week in Flagstaff. We did the local sites, Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, etc. One day we took the long drive and visited Monument Valley. I have to say that Monument Valley, along with the Grand Canyon, was my favorite part of the trip. I don't remember how long the drive was from Flagstaff but for some reason the 3 or 4 hour range pops to mind.

The drive through MV itself was about 2 hours. Definitely worth the time, you cannot take a bad picture at that place.

Good luck and have fun on your trip.