1. Default San Fransisco to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

We will be visiting the USA from Australia. My Fiancé and I will be driving from San Francisco to Vegas to be married later this month (August) and thought it would be nice to stop for the night somewhere along the way. (maybe Yosemite or close to Death Valley) We need recommendations for a Hotel/Motel under $100 for one night. Somewhere not too far off the main route and should have the usual stuff like a pool and a TV, and it must be accepting bookings right now.
    Also, after a 4 day visit to Las Vegas, we would like to see the Grand Canyon. We need a recommendation for a place to stay for one night within easy reach of the Grand Canyon main entry.
    Thank you kindly

Default Lots of options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Did you have a preference about where you are staying, the range of places between Yosemite and Death Valley are pretty large. Staying in or near Yosemite probably makes the most sense, if you want to spend any time exploring the National Park. This website will direct you to the many lodging options in and the in the towns surrounding Yosemite.

If you aren't planning on spending much time in the Yosemite valley, or want to spend more of your time in Death Valley, then you might look at staying at a place along US-395, on the east side of the Sierras.

As far as the Grand Canyon goes, you've got a few options. There are a few lodges within the national parks. There are a handful of places just outside the gates of the park in the town of Tusayan. You can also stay down near I-40, a little over an hour from the Canyon in the town of Williams. There are lots of motels there, and they will be quite a bit less expensive.

Default Great route from Las Vegas to South Rim Grand Canyon

Hi! My son and I just did this road trip last week. We opted to take the Historic Route 66 up through Peach Springs, Arizona, instead of staying on I-40 all the way across to Williams, Arizona, where you head north to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Here is the route, according to Google Maps. It might take a little longer, but the drive is so beautiful, it will seem much shorter.

We stayed at one of the park lodges, the Yavapai Lodge, which was fine. There are a couple of motels and hotels right outside the park, too, which looked nice.

Default Someday, you will have to Sitgreaves Pass too!

Quote Originally Posted by tbgibson View Post
    Hi! My son and I just did this road trip last week. We opted to take the Historic Route 66 up through Peach Springs, Arizona,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- someday, you will have to the leg west from Kingman too (over Sitgreaves Pass) through the old mining town of Oatman. Here is another field report on the drive you just took.

Thanks for your tips!

Mark

5. Default Thanks Folks!

Thank you all for your advice. I truly apreciate it. It seems that I have some serious homework to do to review the route options. I am particularly interested in the great route from Las Vegas to South Rim Grand Canyon as recommended by tbgibson.
    I think we’ll end up booking into the Furnace Creek Ranch Resort in Death Valley on the leg between San Fransisco and Vegas because we can check out of there at around 10am and be in Vegas by early afternoon for check in to our hotel there.

Default Furnace Creek Inn

Quote Originally Posted by mrmick001 View Post
    I truly apreciate it. It seems that I have some serious homework to do to review the route options.
    Unfortunately the Furnace Creek Inn is closed this time of year -- but you ought to drive up for the view when you are there. It is one of my favorite inns in the west. Here is one of our field reports.... (the Ranch is much more motel-like -- but still nice)

Mark