Default May 2008 -Western NP trip

New here -

My husband and I have just started planning a 2 week road trip from our home in Central FL. It will be my graduation present when I get my Masters of Social Work. My husband has been to most of these places on family trips in the past, I have never been out west. We road trip and camp/backpack well from our Volvo, the longest being from Virginia Beach VA to Memphis TN in one day.

So far our route looks like this:
    1: Orlando FL to Shreveport LA (motel stay)
    2: Shreveport LA to Albuquerque NM: including Cadillac Ranch (motel stay)
    3: Albuquerque to Grand Canyon NP: including Meteor Crater, lunch in Flagstaff (campground stay)
    4-6: Grand Canyon NP to Zion NP: including day trip to Bryce Canyon NP (3 night camground stay at Zion)
    7-8: Zion NP to Arches NP: including Canyonlands NP (2 night campground stay at Arches)
    9: Arches NP to Rocky Mountain NP: including Colorado NM (campground stay at Rocky Mountain)
    10: Rocky Mountain NP to Hays KS (motel stay)
    11: Hays KS to St. Louis MO (motel stay)
    12-13: St Louis MO to Memphis TN (stay with family)
    14: Memphis Tn to Orlando FL

That's 7 nights camping in 4 different NP, and 4 motel stays. We will be getting a NP pass obviously. We have budgeted about $700 (2 weeks at $50 a day) for food and $800 for gas based on 5,400 miles. Our total budget including motels and campground is going to be a bit over $2000.

How's that sound? Any tips or advice? Any places we're missing or must see road side attractions. We have the option of staying a night longer somewhere instead of 2 nights in Memphis.

Thanks! I look forward to reading through the forums :)

Default Congrats on the Masters!

Quote Originally Posted by Van1300 View Post
    My husband and I have just started planning a 2 week road trip from our home in Central FL.
    Second thread today from an Orlando roadtripper -- this other couple is starting on a similar quest in March....Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I have never been out west.
    It seems like high time indeed!
    So far our route looks like this:
    Your legs are way, way too long for May road conditions....
    1: Orlando FL to Shreveport LA (motel stay)
    901 miles is just not rational -- this would be 17 hours in the saddle...
    2: Shreveport LA to Albuquerque NM: including Cadillac Ranch (motel stay)
    This one is 845 miles by the shortest route and even if you are in hyper-drive in Texas -- this will require 15 hours of driving....

And on it goes -- you might want to think about cutting some distances here.

Mark

Thanks for the welcome!

Well like I said before, we drove from Virginia Beach to Memphis TN and back. It was 929 mi each way and we did just fine in 16 hours. (With an hour stop in Knoxville for lunch)

We routinely drive from Orlando to Memphis and back to visit my husbands family. That is 831 mi each way and we usually do it in 13 hours.

I am not worried about the first two days as we are on a mission to 'just get out there'. Those are the longest days of the trip. Thanks for the concern, we will evaluate needing an extra stop somewhere.

As for road conditions, are you concerned that we will hit weather? I've lived and driven through more hurricanes then I care to share. My husband has been through snow and ice and everything else. I know May is considered Spring out west, so any weather advice?

Default We call those type of trips -- Speed Runs

Quote Originally Posted by Van1300 View Post
    We routinely drive from Orlando to Memphis and back to visit my husbands family. That is 831 mi each way and we usually do it in 13 hours.
    Well, I wouldn't advertise that too much on a public forum -- let's see -- to cover that distance in 13 hours, assuming you stop at least twice for food and fuel and have to slow for traffic around the metro areas -- you must be hitting speeds approaching 90 mph for good stretches. More than we recommend around here. When you do these speed runs, you might find the tips in this article helpful....
    As for road conditions, are you concerned that we will hit weather? I've lived and driven through more hurricanes then I care to share.
    So have I, and there is always a good chance for extreme weather in May. I always carry a hand-held CB with the Weather alerts and I keep abreast of conditions using the 511 system. Each state has their own version of the 511 system -- here is the one for South Dakota

There are plenty of tips and suggestions here -- so look around and let us know what types of specific information you are seeking.

Mark