View Poll Results: Do you think your State or Province does a good job at keeping bridges safe?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I believe they do.

4 30.77%
  • I think they do, but I'm not certain.

2 15.38%
  • I don't know much about the details, but I haven't seen many bridge incidents.

1 7.69%
  • My state does not do well with Bridge safety.

3 23.08%
  • I do not know enough about bridges in my state to have an opinion.

3 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridge Safety

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Bridge Safety

As most of you probably heard, there was a major bridge failure in Minnesota the other day. The investigation is on-going, they'll have causes and scientific data within a short period of time, and I bet there is going to be an "Attorney Convention" suddenly happening in Minneapolis very shortly.

I bring this up because the Arizona Republic is reporting that Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano is ordering Arizona Department of Transportation inspection teams to conduct a review of bridges in Arizona.

In Washington, Governor Gregoire is pretty much doing the same.

I'm pretty confident that WaSDOT (Washington State DOT) won't find any incidents, as they're pretty good at keeping bridges up-to-snuff since the First Tacoma Narrows Bridge fell decades ago.

Arizona... I'm not so sure. Many of our rivers are dry riverbeds, and only encounter lateral forces after a good rain. Because of this, I've seen a few bridges down here need major work after a series of good monsoonal storms.

So, the question is to enthusiasts... what do you think about your state (or province) and the safety of their bridges?

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Earthquake braceing has gone well here in Calif.

Default We didn't get coverage

We didn't get any coverage over here of this until late evening our time. When someone said yesterday that they were nervous about crossing bridges as they drove to work I was like oooookkaaaay... Having now seen the video of the thing collapse I can see why people died.

We had a spate of building collapses in London due to ongoing renovation work. I hear that work had just started on that bridge the day before -- I wonder if that will prove to be the eventual cause.

Thankfully, over here, our bridges are all pretty well maintained (unlike the roads or rails that cross them) so it'd be unlikely to happen I would hope. Unless they were washed away by a repeat of the recent flooding that we suffered.

Default Louisiana - Enough Said

I don't know. Our state officials keep telling us that they inspect our bridges every year, they're all ok, blah blah blah. However, they also said the same thing about the levees. "Oops - we were supposed to actually do something other than drive by them while pocketing the money meant for upkeep." So, needless to say I have little confidence in my state to actually keep up with maintenance.

I got to thinking that the youngest bridges in Shreveport are both from the same time period as that one in MN.

Laura

BTW - The Dead Pelican is a good spot to get the dirt on Louisiana and its corrupt politics.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Seattle Times breaks the scoop on Evergreen State Bridges.

I was just looking at the Seattle Times page, and they're looking at a lot of different data, highlighting several bridges in the area that are problems. There is a PDF showing the state's worst bridges, and for the time being the main page of the Seattle Times has a link to a graph ranking states on their bridges. Arizona is first with only 2.2% bridges listed as "Structurally deficient", with Florida, Nevada, Delaware, and Texas rounding the top 5, Washington in 6th with 5% of bridges falling into the category. The worse two are Rhode Island with 25.4% structurally deficient, and Oklahoma at 26.8% of bridges classified as structurally deficient.

As part of the larger Roadtripping Community, perhaps everyone here should contact their state legislature representative and let them know that bridge safety is important.

-Brad

Default Bridge conditions

Well, around here we haven't had too many bridge problems, though there was one significant one I can recall a couple years back on/near I-91, and of course the "Big Dig" tunnel roof collapse of last year.

There is a bridge about 5 miles from my home that has been held up by 8"x8" railroad ties for close to two decades now. It is finally being replaced. I think that bridge was rated "unfit for use" or close to it.

The thing that always concerns me, wherever I go, is the lack of paint on so many bridges. Then the rust comes on, and eventually, the rot. Especially in places that use a lot of salt on the roads, this is needed to protect the structure.

We've heard similar quotes as lhuff about the dams around here. We have some dams that are actually 150+ years old and made primarily of wood and packed earth... but that is a different issue.

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

One of my beefs with polititians is when road use taxes go to other non-transportation diversions other than highway maint which is what they were usually mean't for.

It was an issue (of several) that ran Grey Davis outta office in California.

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lhuff View Post
    I don't know. Our state officials keep telling us that they inspect our bridges every year, they're all ok, blah blah blah. However, they also said the same thing about the levees. "Oops - we were supposed to actually do something other than drive by them while pocketing the money meant for upkeep." So, needless to say I have little confidence in my state to actually keep up with maintenance.

I got to thinking that the youngest bridges in Shreveport are both from the same time period as that one in MN.

Laura

BTW - The Dead Pelican is a good spot to get the dirt on Louisiana and its corrupt politics.
    Good post Laura.
    I love Louisiana Politics.
    "Let me hep you" - Huey

Default close to home

Despite all the talk about bridge funding and maintenance, I have a feeling when all is said and done, they are going to discover a problem that has been in place since the bridge was built. Of course it won't be just one single cause, and while maybe some repairs might have prevented the disaster, there will be some elements that were mis-engineered from the very beginning.

I've crossed the I-35W bridge several times, and used other bridges across the Mississippi litterally thousands upon thousands of times. One of my close friends used the bridge every day and was on it less than 30 minutes before the collapse. All I can say is that I am really amazed at how low the death toll appears like it will be.

Default Too close!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    One of my close friends used the bridge every day and was on it less than 30 minutes before the collapse. All I can say is that I am really amazed at how low the death toll appears like it will be.
    Me too, rush hour traffic and all. Our thoughts are with the families of those missing, injured and killed... and grateful that your friend was spared.

Mark